Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Words from Elder Kade Garner in Peru

 
"Okay I am super late writing this week but it is because we went to Punta Olímpica (Olimpic Peak) this morning with the zone and we had to leave super early in the morning. So do not worry I did not forget you and I am sending pictures as we speak. Sadly, my camera died so I did not get very many pictures, but I did get some great ones. I really am in the most beautiful place in the world. When you think of Peru you probably think of llamas, mountains, and natives in their funny little hats. Well, that is exactly where I am and I am in love with every bit of it.

 So a little bit about the week. Right now we are searching for nothing but families to teach. This Gospel really was made for the family and not the individual. We really need to understand that without the family we can never reach our potential to become like our heavenly Father. Without being sealed in the Lord´s temple we cannot receive all the blessing that He has for us. However, finding a complete family in Peru that is married is like finding a needle in a haystack. It almost does not exist, but it does and because of that we are looking. A few weeks ago we actually found a family that is great. The sad thing is they are not married. We taught them a few times and a miracle happened. The husband decided that he wanted to get married to keep the commandments. This almost never happens. We were so excited and then his wife dropped the bomb. She did not want to do it and did not care that she was sinning. We were heartbroken. Well, fast Sunday came and I decided to fast for her. We finished our fast and thought nothing of it. We went through our normal routine. On Friday we had an appointment with this family. Due to some traveling to a zone meeting we were two hours late to this appointment. They were waiting for us when we got there. We were going to go over the first lesson with them when I got the impression that we should talk about the sacrament. We used the Bible and the Book of Mormon to explain the importance of taking the sacrament every week as a family. The mother, Amelia, just sat there listening very closely. When we finished she stood up. She told us that she knew that her family was not happy and that all there problems are because she is not living like she could and is not keeping the commandments. She then told us that she would like to get married. We have a lot of work to help them get married and I really hope they do it. This is such a good and humble family. This miracle just reinforced my testimony in two ways. I know that the Spirit knows these people and their needs much better than we do. We have to listen to his direction. If we had not talked about the sacrament I know Amelia would not have received the revelation she did to get married. I also know that Heavenly Father blesses us when we fast with faith. Every time I have ever fasted I have been surprised by the miracles that happen. Heavenly Father really does bless us when we show our faith to Him.

 Okay, that was the part of the week. We are also working really hard with the leadership in the ward to help it get on its feet. This week we made some improvement as the Bishopric is now doing interviews every week for those who want to get temple recommends. It is sometimes hard to see a ward struggle so much and be so unorganized. At times it feels like we are not in the church of Jesus Christ. However, we just have to be patient and help the leaders in the best way that we can. I have high hopes for this ward. It really can be such a good strong ward, we just have a lot of work to do. And do not worry, we are going to do it.

 So about today. We went to the mountain Punta Olímpica. It is a mountain that is still covered with some snow. We went as a zone; we are 22 missionaries. It was so cool. For the first time for many of the Latinos they got to touch snow. We had a tour bus that is run by members take us up. It was a three hour trip up but it was so beautiful the entire way. It was just like we were driving in a post card or a painting. It was unreal. So this mountain has a spot where there are three cray pretty lagoons. They are very very very blue. It looks like someone put food coloring in them, but it is 100% natural. These lakes sit at an altitude of more than 12,000 feet. It was pretty hard to breathe as most of us have been living at sea level for at least six months. We were all just taking so many pictures. We got there while it was cloudy and sadly just as it began to clear up my camera died, but it is okay because I got some terrific photos. I just cannot got over how in love I am with this place. I still have 11 moths left, but I am hoping that I will stay up in these areas for the rest of my time. I love the people, the ward, and the landscape. It does not get better than Caraz. "

 



No comments:

Post a Comment