Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Words from Sister Abbi Waite in Texas

Dear all,

Miracletown continues to be full of miracles! The Merrilltown ward hadn't had a baptism in over a year, and we've had two in the last two weeks! I wish I could say that I had anything to do with it. It was all the Spirit... and the members! Members play such a huge role in missionary work! Especially in the stories of Lupe and Ryan. They were both active member referrals who had seen the light and example of their member friends and desired it for themselves! 

Did you realize that you can do missionary work by just being a good example? However, the invitation is super important, too! The success is in the invitation! In the commitment you have to living true to the gospel and setting a good example! How wonderful is that? I was always super scared to invite... but there was no reason to be! The success is in the invitation, not in if the person you invite is baptized, or even hears what you have to say. All we're asked to do is open our mouths! 

... Oh no. Have I become preachy?! ... I don't even know who I am anymore. Haha! I'll get off my soap box. 

I hope y'all are doing well and noticing all the miracles in your lives! God's hand is everywhere. I feel like we too often look for big things, but the little things are miracles, too!

Ryan was baptized and confirmed this weekend, and it was really neat to see. He's been letting the Atonement change his life! Which is something we all need to do! He's so super great! :) 

We were able to meet a lot of neat people this week, including a guy who we're pretty sure plays football for UT. He was really jealous that I'd had dinner with Ty Detmer. But, honestly, who wouldn't be? ;) 

I have so many things flying around in my head that I could write about, but I just can't choose and I am running out of time. Just know that I love this area and my companion so much! We are working hard (not hardly working) and seeing the miracles and blessings that come from that. I can hardly believe that it is week 5 of the transfer already! And August! ... I don't remember authorizing that! Oh well, time moves on. I hope to be able to continue growing as it continues running. 

One scripture I absolutely love is Mark 9:23:

"Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth."

All things are possible to him that believeth! Believing, or faith, being the key word there. I have seen the effects of faith in my life, and especially in missionary work. We are taught to find by faith, to teach with the faith that the Spirit will confirm our words, to have faith that those we help bring into the fold will be able to continue onward... To HAVE FAITH. 

I thought I had faith before, but as I have truly learned to study the scriptures, pray meaningfully, and truly obey and believe... my faith has grown! Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin said

"Our faith is the foundation upon which all our spiritual lives rest. It should be the most important resource of our lives. Faith is not so much something we believe; faith is something we live." 

Brothers and sisters and the like, faith is something that we live! If we live like we believe, our faith will grow, and all things will be possible to us! We will not be left alone. In Elder Wirthlin's words:

"Be of good cheer. Have faith and confidence. The Lord will not forsake you."

I know this to be true, just as I know it was spoken by a chosen servant of the Lord. An Apostle! 

Look for miracles and strengthen your faith! 

Love, 
Sister Waite

No comments:

Post a Comment