Sunday, May 25, 2014

Words from Elder Kade Garner in Peru

"Hey everyone,

So yesterday we talked on the phone so I do not have a whole ton to say, but I might repeat some of the things we talked about because it is easier for me to write down what I want to say in English rather than speak it. It just does not come out of my mouth very easily now.


I told you all that this week I met one of the Seventy: President Waddell. It was so great. I loved every second of the five hours we spent with him. It was what I needed very much. He taught us many important things, but we focused on conversion. We learned how we can help the investigators become converted through the Spirit, but he taught us more importantly is our conversion. This is what Elder Holland taught us while I was in the MTC but I forgot it a little. President Waddell told us that it is not a coincidence that we were born when we were born, where we were born, or in the circumstances we were born. Everything happened so that we would serve the mission in this time and where we are serving. He taught us that the Lord knows what we need to become converted. I am serving in the PerĂ¹ Lima West mission in 2014 because it is the experience I need to become converted to the Lord. He taught us that a missionary who baptized 1,000`s but does not become converted is not successful, in fact, those baptisms mean nothing to the Lord. A missionary who becomes converted and who does not see many baptisms is successful in the eyes of the Lord. The mission is here to convert the missionaries. As missionaries we should never question why we were sent to where we were sent or why we do not have the success we want. We should only ask ourselves, ¨Am I converted to the Lord?¨ At times it is hard to be a missionary like Elder Holland said in conference, but I know there is a reason for it. We are here to learn what our Savior went through. We are here to get to know our Savior. We are here to become converted unto our Savior. I am converted to my Lord and Redeemer. I have a relationship with him that I never thought I would and luckily I still have some time left in the mission to become even more converted. I love the mission and the mission has taught me to love the Lord Jesus Christ. I know why I am here and I know that this was the best decision I have ever made. I am so glad I decided to accept that Lord`s call to become a true convert of Him.

This week we also had a baptism. Yes, it has been a while but we finally saw some fruits of our labor. Armando, a man who has waited for over 25 years to be baptized was finally able to do so. We helped him these last few weeks repent of some very hard things. He began to progress so quickly and he had to overcome some very hard challenges, but he did it. On Friday morning we went to the river as a district to clean the river and make a poso for the baptism. A poso is like a pool made out of stones in the river. We found a tranquil and beautiful spot in the river and we went to work. We cleaned and cleaned and made a small pool to baptize in. When we finished the whole district was so excited for the baptism. It was such a pretty spot. Saturday morning was the baptism. We did the program and had the talks in the church so that it would be a little more reverent. After we headed to the river. When we got there we saw that our poso was very low. The river was almost not running. We had no idea what to do. There was not enough water to baptize. We were all worried for Armando. This poor man had waited so many years and changed so many things in his life to be baptized this day and we could not do it. We did not know what else to do, so we decided to sing a hymn. We chose ¨Now Let Us Rejoice.¨ As we finished the hymn we looked towards the river and noticed that it had begun to run again. In a manner of minutes the pool was overflowing. We had become witnesses of a miracle. We all became emotional because we knew it was a blessing of God. He wanted this man to enter the sacred covenant of baptism. And so he did. How can you deny that this church is not true? This is the church of Jesus Christ... I am positive.


That really was the week. We were traveling a lot. Really, we were in buses almost the whole week, yet it was still filled with miracles and wonders. I am so grateful for the mission. I am so grateful for the family I have... especially the wonderful mother I have with whom I was able to talk to yesterday. I am grateful for the good town I grew up in and the people who helped raise me. I am so grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ that helps us become more perfect. And I am most grateful for the Redeemer of the world Who had a love so perfect that he did the unthinkable; He suffered, bled, died, and lived again and all for you and me. What a blessing it is to know Who He is and what He did. I just hope that we all become more converted to Him.


I love you all una bucha... it is some slang from Argentina that means a bunch. I am learning how to speak like an Argentinean right now thanks to my companion and a sister in the district. So, we will talk next week."

No comments:

Post a Comment