Friday, August 1, 2014

Words from Elder Chandon Herring in Washington DC

"This week was super busy. We had a lot of meetings and activities so not as much proselyting as we would normally have. But we still had over 100 contacts and stuff so it was super productive for not having as much time. to mix it up I will work backwards from now. We had to repent this morning for being late home from the 4th of July. We did service at a place about 4 miles up the road. It was great and the easiest repentance ever! We had a great time. I was in the moving crew and guess what we did... we moved stuff! it was super exciting. the furniture that they give people is so nice! We saw practically new leather couches and California king mattresses. All that jazz. But they need it.
Yesterday was a great relaxing Sunday. We had the classic morning and went to church. The speakers were just incredible and we had a munch and mingle afterwards. It was themed salads and it was pretty good. I had a lot of chicken and bread too. A brother from the ward made some bbq chicken on the spot and it was divine. We stayed after church and mingled for quite a while. After that was finishing our studies and facebook time. We had no apt. so we went and met the Tores family. They are super nice. We meandered around and contacted people but nothing much.

Saturday. We had another basketball day. we played for a while and i have to say I think that I got worse at basketball. But that is ok. We then headed over to the Bike House for service. I did not get a chance to serve because I spent 3 hours on my bike. I am proud to say that after $82 I have a new rim and functional bike. It was frustrating trying to act like i knew what i was doing but I must have done something right because it works. It is so much easier to bike with 29" rims. I love having this bike. The other one was terrible! Today I was also in a physical fitness mood so i agreed with E. Thornton to wake up at 4:30 next transfer to go to a gym and spend and extra $40 on it. What on earth was I thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am off my rocker! But I guess it is for the better. I need to chip away at this food baby. :)

We visited with Sis. Luna because it was her birthday and she gave us donuts and gatorade. We sang to her and talked for a little bit. I really am starting to love her even more. It was great! We also got to see Sis Bonner and Karen. They are so fun and happy but as we were passing by one day we saw Sis Bonner outside smoking so we are going to have a lesson on the word of Wisdom. It will be fun. Karen's back is getting worse so she might have surgery soon.

Friday. We had a great District finding activity day! we went down to a super busy part of the area with the entire district and the spanish district for 3 hours with a stand of free lemonade and free pamphlets and copies of the BOM. It was super productive. we have a lot of return appointments and it will help make sure we keep busy. But we are doing good at that so no worries. Then weekly planning and that jazz so nothing too exciting happened.

We visited Sis. Onyeka and she was still glued to her couch but she is opening up to us more and she was dressed this time. She is such a weird woman. But it is nice being able to come see her and get used to trying to teach with jeopardy in the background. Dinner we were fed by Ceasar. He made some homemade hamburgers with onion, peppers, tomatoes and stuff like that in the meet. I overindulged and almost died. But it was so worth it.

Thursday. We were on splits and I was with Elder Jensen. He and I are the two newest to the area so we had fun getting lost every now and then. We had a district meeting and it was super productive. Elder Rayback, a senior, had some rebuking to do. He told us of the story of Samson. When he killed 1000's with the jaw bone of an ass. He said we all talk too much and need to not kill with the jaw bone of an ass. It was hilarious and a fun way to get mad at us. (Elders...lol)

After that Elder Jensen and I were able to go teach Slap who is a level 32 free mason. He is like Ceasar he is a genuinely happy person and out to do good. He has a lot of potential. But the exchange ended and we met back at Wendy's where Elder Fuller our DL treated us. He had a ton of gift cards! IT was divine! I like anything that I do not make. We also, for lunch, were treated to 5 guys by the Raybacks. It was sooooooooo gooooooooooood! I love that food. I ate it so fast. I am deprived of delicious hamburgers. But after this week I am set. :)

Wednesday. We did almost nothing because we had interviews with President Cooke. We left for them at 10 and did not leave until 3:30 and we had ward coordination that night from 5-9. We had a delicious dinner of veggie pasta and had bible study after.

We started the exchange and E. Jensen is awesome. He is a cool kid and super fun, obedient and scripturally smart. Anyway Pres. in our interview said that I need to be paying attention to the DL and ZL because I need to see how they need to improve and I will be in leadership most of the second half of my mission. He likes me I hear and we get along great. I can mess with him a little bit and he does back. He is super smart and his wife is to. She was a former attorney.

Tuesday. We again did not have a lot of time to do much because this was the day we traveled to get my bike back from the bike shop. When we got back we had a typical day of facebook and had a great nnight of visiting with people at FHE. I love FHE I had a great talk with a couple lady's who are starting to become more active and we had a great talk on family history. So if any of you know some stories I would love to hear them so I can share them next time.

Monday Pday...

Well I love you all and I really enjoy your letters. It sounds like you had a great time in sj for the 24th and that you were able to relax.

remember the church is true even when strange things happen :) I love the quotes that Mom sent and I got all of the packages thus far that i know of. I hope you all know that I love you and that I know this gospel is true and that it really does change lives.

Remember the best missionaries are members and that your job is to find and give referrals. We need them and love each and every one."




No comments:

Post a Comment