Monday, August 11, 2014

Words from Elder Chandon Herring in Washington DC

"Ok i am not so sure anymore about this whole 4:30 thing. But i guess i paid already so I am in it for a while. We were able to find a solid potential bus driver on the way home, yes we did not bike, it was leg day so come on cut me some slack... I could not walk for 3 days. We had apartment inspections and were given a giant thing of Oreos as a pat on the back. It is now gone. we had a great lesson at FHE but people are still struggling to get there. We have boosted attendance but we want more to come. so much cheese.



Wed. Transfers... I am still with my dad. I am a seasoned vet now with one transfer under my belt. I am good. only 16 left. We got a greenie in our apartment named E. Porter. He is from Idaho and is super diabetic. he is cool tho and super smart. E. Thornton is now the DL and he is not to excited about it but he is a great missionary. We had two lessons cancel but we got to teach Floyd. He is that guy we randomly found on his porch after a different apt cancelled. He is old and loves fishing, He is great. hard to catch tho because he is always fishing. We had a good lesson. We also got a call from a lady who is super solid. She called us and is wanting to learn more about the importance of family. That is one of our specialties and missionaries so we are happy to help. She is great and is going through a tough time.



Thurs. Today was the first day of the entire mission I was cranky. It was at night tho right before bed. The day itself was great but I got another flat tire and the patch did not work. I was not to excited. but i got over it. If that is all i have to be mad about life is good. We ate at Ceasars home again. I made Cinnamon Pancakes. Just like grandpa with lots of cinnamon. Everyone loved them and that is what we are doing from now on :) I was happy. We taught Anita today and her kids need a spanken. They were off the wall. But they learned the 5 principles of the gospel. We also met a great lady on the bus today. Matilda. An older woman who is super nice. She is going to meet with us again.



Fri. Today I was in the Spanish program. No joke. it was because the spanish Elder needed a comp as his comp and E thornton went to a training meeting. We had fun and I understood nothing. We had a Visitor Center (vc) appointment cancel. But we were able to give a blessing. I also met Elder Gilespie. He is awesome. I cant describe him but he was called to be 2nd counselor in the mission presidency on his mission, bishop, stake pres, area authority, mission pres, patriarch, general authority, and temple pres. Now he is remarried and serving a mission with his new wife. of 9 months. He is great and he emphasized how important it is to do the will of The Lord. He said just do it when it needs to be done and you will be super successful and happy. He also was Spencer W Kimballs comp for a week when he came to his mission to prep it to open. We taught Sis onyeka who did NOT take off her shirt in the lesson this time. Super grateful she also even came to church and was all happy and smiles. She was a different person.



Sat. started crumby with a massive headache at 4 in the morning. E Thornton thought I was sleep walking and popping pills but I was well aware of what I was doing. It was cool as I took some drugs and layed there I said a quick prayer and that is the fastest answer to a prayer i have ever had. I asked to be able to feel better and sleep. Boom nocked out before I could even say Amen it seemed like. I felt a ton better in the morning. We went to play some basketball with the other elders. It was fun to see a lot of bad players try to be good. But we all are terrible. We went to Ceasars home for lunch and he fed us El Salvadorian chicken soup. super good. Mom you would love the cream stuff they have here. We went and saw sis Luna after and had some of her delicious Juice again. I will send a pic of her. we went to the vc with her on sunday. We then taught Karen whose back is still in bad shape. But as we were leaving a bird pooped on my shoulder... I was so shocked I did not know what to do. So i swore like a sailor. Just kidding I laughed. E. Thornton said that he would have sworn like a sailor but he was surprised when I laughed. I cleaned most of it up but will most likely have a stain. We had another night of testing spiritual powers. It was my turn to find a street that we could get into a home. I rode a while and picked one. the third door we knocked we got in. Adam and Monica are a young couple who love the Ravens. so I used sis Gissel and Denis Pitta to my advantage. We are going to come back and teach more. it was great.



Sun. one of my favorite days here. We had sis onyeka at church and got to go to the VC for a night of music and inspiration. it was super cool and we were able to bring sis luna. But at church, this is for mom by the way, We saw Pres. Cooke who was speaking in the spanish ward. He walked up to me and said I looked sharp but he thought that I did to fancy of a knot. he took off my tie and redid it. Guess how he did it? The Cheaters way!!!!! The way mom you said you dont like it. The way Dad said I would tie it everyday on my mission because it was so easy. This made me laugh and I learned the not is also the Rich mans knot. If you look at rich people's ties that is usually how they do it.



Well for pday we started early at the gym again and then went to the mall to play football. it is cool playing right in front of the Washington Monument and the Capital Building. We had fun. I tore it up! I caught two passes and knocked down a ton of passes. Our mission is supposedly thee most fit in the world according the the mission doc who covers 14 missions. We are really athletic and competitive. O the way back home i almost got hit by a car twice, the first time I was lucky enough to shove E Thornton into the car saving myself and the second the gentleman was kind enough to brake. :) He only swore like 30 times to, not bad for DC.



Thank you all for your love and support. you are all the best and I know that you will be blessed for all you do will Diligence. Look at Pres. Eyrings talk in the April 2010 priesthood session talk called Act in all Diligence. it is my favorite. We are all here to be missionaries. The best ones are you tho. Find people and be an example. If any of you find someone to teach though we can skype and teach them with you. Just to let you know. :) I might ask some of you to join me in a lesson to. One lady we will start teaching soon wants to meet some people who have a family. She wants their testimony. :)"


No comments:

Post a Comment