Monday, September 1, 2014

Words from Elder Kade Garner in Peru

"This week I learned a few things. I learned that we are tried to progress. When the going is easy we are NOT growing, but when the going gets tough we learn the will of God. Only by having hard times can we truly see our weaknesses and our shortcomings and our faults. In being able to see these things in ourselves we can learn to be more humble and learn what it is that our Heavenly Father really wants of us. This week I was able to see a lot of my personal disabilities and my imperfections. Now I just need to accept the will of the Lord, be humble, and grow. It was hard this week coming to realize how much more I still need to change and seeing that for some things it is going to be a struggle. As I was a little disheartened a message from one of the Apostles came to mind. I am being tried because I am ready to progress. God tries us ONLY when we are sufficiently strong enough to overcome the hardships and leave victorious and stronger than before. I am now greatful for my weaknesses, I am greatful for not being perfect, I am greatful for a Savior Who is perfect so that one day I finally will be, and I am greatful for a Heavenly Father that loves me enough to sometimes ¨cut me down and hurt me¨ like Elder Christofferson says so that I can become the person He wants me to be.


Now I do not want you all to think that my weak was a disaster, that I am struggling, or that the mission is too hard for me. That is NOT the case. The week was hard yes I did knock hundreds of doors and talk to hundres of people without ever entering a house yes, and I came to the conclusion that I am not a perfect missionary or person yes; however I gained a greater appreciation for the mission and for the Atonement this week because of it. The mission is meant to be really hard at times... it was planned that way. If someone is in the mission and can say that they have never had a hard time is not learning or progressing. We do not get better by having everything given to us. We progress by fighting to have something given to us or when it appears like all we had has been taken away from us. This week might not have been as successful as I would have liked when it comes to baptisms, finding new investigators, etc., but it was more productive for my personal development than I ever imagined it would be. The next time we experiance a trial we should remember to ask ourselves, ¨What is it that my Heavenly Father wants me to learn and better?¨ In doing so I am convinced that every ¨trial¨ will actually be a blessing.


The very good side of the week is that we were finally able to set a baptismal date with our investigator Eugenio Ramos. He is a 60 something year-old black man who is suffering from many illnesses. He has diabetes, he has prostate problems and his kidneys are not funcioning well. He feels as though it is all the consequences of his past sins. I cannot say if they are or not but being an alcoholic and a sex addict do have their set backs. Anyway, he is more than ready to give up and leave behind all his past sins and addictions. He is ready to repent.


This week we taught him again and invited him to go to church with us. He was worried because with his health problems he has to use the bathroom every 15 minutes or so and it makes him embarrassed. Our mission president told us that any promise we make that is for the progress of a person has to be completed by the Lord. So we promised Eugenio that if he would act in his faith by going to church that his need to use the bathroom often would be taken from him. He decided to go and sure enough he did not even need to use the bathroom in the three-hour block. He loved every minute and told us that he had already started inviting all his family to his baptism that 20th of September. Even though the week was hard it ended up being amazing in many ways. I hope that Eugenio can keep progressing and seeing the blessings that come for being obedient to the commandments and for repenting.


So that was my week. It was very productful and meaningful to me. I hope you all had a good week too. I love you all and we will talk next week.... until next week,"

No comments:

Post a Comment