Sunday, September 14, 2014

Words from Sister Kortlynn Herring in Japan

愛する家族へ
"My dear beloved Family,

Hello from Tokyo! This week was another wonderful week! The area is
finally beginning to get going and it's awesome! First, thank you all
for your lovely emails! I appreciate it so so much! I truly love you
all and am so blessed to belong to the stellar family that I belong
to! (*^_^*)

So, this week we got to meet with some awesome people. First we have
Yoshida San. She came to eikaiwa for the first time last week, she
actually received an eikaiwa flyer in Niigata, (Kort served in Niigata for 6 months) and came and found our
class here in Senzokuike. She is so cool! She was a pro wrestler for
20 years! And now she is coaching this special thing called body
tuning, she compares it to playing the piano, no matter how hard you
practice, if the piano isn't in tune, the music won't be good, our
bodies are the same, no matter how hard we work out, or try to loose
weight, we won't get the result we want, because we didn't start with
the tuning. It's very interesting, and we got to go to her class, and
I learned some techniques, I shall teach you all. She says it helps
with back pain, digestive systems, everything! Anywho she is so cool!
She wen to a catholic school when she was little and she use to pray
before she wrestle. We are teaching her English, and then we started
talking about God and how he has a plan for us, and she said she
wanted to know! So, with our cool miracle from Niigata, we got a new
investigator! Yay!

Then we have Jun San. He is a man that Sister Nash met last transfer
while handing out flyers at the train station. He speaks really good
English and that was his original interest, but this last Sunday we
were able to teach him the Plan of Salvation and the bishop, ward
mission leader, and an awesome Shimai from the ward all pitched in and
it was a great lesson.(How awesome to have such great support from the ward) He has a slight mental problem, but not bad,
and he is a super nice guy.

We also have Merin who is from Taiwan, she also doesn't realize what
is missing from her life, but as we were able to talk to her a bit
about God, the spirit was there and it was awesome!
Then we have Mina, she is from Nepal. Super nice lady! So humble!
We went and visited her and she invited us over to her house and fed
us this super yummy spicy pasta. Her little boys are awesome. Punks,
but awesome. It's weird, they all speak Nepalese together, but we
speak English to the boys and Japanese to the mom. Right now, the
little boys are studying Japanese, but they are better at English.
It's kind of fun. Tokyo is so full of foreigners, but the most common language is either Japanese or English, sometimes a
little of both. This could only happen in japan and it's so cool!

This ward is amazing! Last week our ward mission leader asked us what
food we liked, he said anything, so we name like bread, pasta, cereal,
and of course I mention black thunder (Japanese Chocolate bar similar to Kit Kat) and snickers, and then he says
great, gets up and announces to the elders quorum and relief society
what our favorite food is and how he expects us to have a very full
fruits basket with all our favorite food. Well, let me tell you, this
ward is amazing! We get to church and there is already loads of food,
by the end, it was way too much! I will send a picture! I have never
seen a fruit basket that full my entire mission! The best part was
the 2 packs of black thunders and snickers and the 12 packs of my
favorite granola cereal! So spoiled! We split with the elders, but
even then, we both got a lot. Japanese people are way to nice!

So, today for pday Sister Nash and I went to a shrine called asakusa,
and took cool pics and what not. While we were taking pictures on a
bridge, this man comes up and asks of he can interview us on tv, we
were like ok. All they did was have us pose, and then ask us a couple
questions, but then they found out that we lived in japan as church
volunteers, the kind of cut it short, but it was still a cool
experience. We also met a lot of way nice people today! I love the
diversity and funness in Tokyo! So many cool people to talk to!

Basically, this week was great, the work is moving forward, and I love
my mission. Oh, so we also had zone conference this week, and I know
I don't ever really mention this, but I love the Budges (Mission Pres) so so much!
They are amazing, and I love it whenever we get to see them and talk
with them. The theme of the conference was obedience and unity and
planning Christmas. :) never to early to start right! We went over
how it's such a great opportunity to teach people about Christ. I
also got to give my last testimony. It was good. I wasn't able to
say everything, that's impossible, but it felt good. I can't believe
I did that though. Weird! There were quite a few who bore their
testimonies, including an old ap, and sister biddle and 2 Japanese
sisters that I adore! There were a lot of people at the conference,
so I was able to see a lot of close friends and old companions.
Including sister Palmer! Which was fun.

Well, this turned out to be long! I love you all! Hope you have a
fantastic week! Remember the gospel is true! The Book of Mormon is
powerful, and prayer works! I adore and love you all! Keep being the
amazing people that I know and love!"

Love,

Sister Herring
へリング姉妹

No comments:

Post a Comment