Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Words from Elder Ryder Nielsen in Philippines Manila Mission

"All is well, Manila was only kissed by the edge of the storm.  We experienced some pretty intense wind, the rain was strong but it didn't last long at all.  As you have heard, Tacloban was hit the hardest.  The last death count I heard was 10,000.  What a horrific tragedy!  I was transferred last to a new area so I don't know if Elder Julito's family made it through safely.  Las Pinas Paranaque is my new area.  I was supposed to be training a new missionary again but he ended up going home.  This was the second time he went home, I'm not really sure of the reason, but I think it had to do with stress and homesickness.  Unfortunately, I didn't even get to meet him.  Now my assignment is follow-up training and district leader.  My new companion is Elder Nonay from Cagayan De Oro from the Philippines.  He is a really cool guy.  He just got through with the training program and he is really excited about the work.  It has been a week of mixed emotions.  It was hard to leave my last area.  I love Pasay!  After my mission I might decide to come back to the Philippines just to live in Pasay.  Ha, ha! Right now I am just trying to adjust to all the changes.  In my opinion that is the hardest part about the mission is change.  The members in Las Pinas First Ward are very kind and caring. I was very surprised to see the support the members have with missionary work which is a very good sign.  The work seems to go a lot smoother when members are involved with the work.  As far as helping out with the storm victims and cleanup, we have not been informed that we will take part in that, but I won't be surprised if that is the case.  As for now, I am just trying to learn my new area and the investigators.  Time just keeps zooming  on by.  I am not entirely sure that there is supposed to be another storm to hit.  I don't know all the details, but that's what the members here are saying.  My new area is so much different than Pasay.  Las Pinas has a lot of wealthy people.  The neighborhoods are very beautiful, just like America, but of course it makes the work more challenging, because if you are wealthy and successful, people usually harden their hearts of the gospel.  It takes a humble heart.  That's our mission here--to seek out the honest in heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment