Monday, November 25, 2013

Words from Sister Elese Hauser in Ilinois Chicago West Mission

"The best story I have for this week is we had the privilege of having a General Authority come and talk to us this week.  His name is Elder James Martino and he is in the Second Quorum of the Seventy (he's in the Ensign this month).  Anyway he came and taught us so much!  I was overwhelmed he taught us so many things that it was so spiritually edifying.  So anyway at one point in the meeting,, he told us that he was going to do a very hard role play of 2 missionaries inviting the investigator, him, to be baptized.  We could only say 3-4 sentences before asking him an inspired question that wasn't a yes or no question.  There are probably 80 missionaries at this meeting.  Guess what companionship he chooses?  You got it, he chose the companionship with the 2 newest missionaries, Sister Spendlove and ME!  My companion has horrible stage fright.  She was about to have a heart attack!  I knew that I hadn't done 4 years of high school plays for nothin', so I walked up there with my head held high even though I was freaking out!!  This is a General Authority, for crying out loud!  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little nervous to be up there in front of President and Sister Fenn, 80 very seasoned missionaries, the assistants, a General Authority's wife, and of course, a General Authority.  I'm getting nervous just thinking about it.  Anyway, so we get started and I just say whatever question comes to mind.  The most miraculous and amazing thing happened.  All of the sudden, my mouth was filled just like it says in D&C 84:88, I knew exactly what to say and I knew exactly what this person needed. My companion just about fainted, but she did very well and she said some amazing things.  It was afterwards when everyone was saying it was the best role play they'd ever seen!  The Assistants went out of their way to tell us that they learned things from watching us.  Wow!!  Then President Fenn walked  up to us and puffed out his chest and looked at us like a proud father and said, 'I was very proud of you and how well you both did in the role play.'  Elder Martino told me afterwards that he had never seen a missionary do a better job.  'You passed the test with flying colors and you did not bring shame on the mission.'  Would you all be surprised if I had burst into tears right then and there because I was so humbled.  I've never been so complimented in all my life and by a General Authority who was a mission president before and having President Fenn say that he was proud of me was dear to my heart.  I admire and love that man more than anyone else out here.  That was the greatest experience of my life and I learned more than anyone else who was watching.  I learned even more than I already had to rely on the Spirit, which is vital in the mission field."

1 comment:

  1. Sister Hauser, I loved your story and am not at all surprised at how well you did in your role play. Elder Martino was our son, Trey's mission president in Venezuela, and he loves him as much as you love your president. Keep up the good work! Tricia Platt

    ReplyDelete