Monday, November 25, 2013

Words from Hermana Sandra Thompson in Chile Santiago East Mission

"Elder Jeffrey R Holland of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles was here, along with Elder D Todd Christofferson. Elder Holland held a special meeting just with the missionaries. It was lovely, and inspiring, and touching. He is very concerned about the church collectively and people individually. He talked about an interview a long time ago with an Olympic Champion swimmer, who when asked how to be a gold metalist the swimmer said "when you don't feel like kicking, kick. When you don't feel like stroking, stroke". It made me think about Finding Nemo and when Dory says "just keep swimming, just keep swimming", I got after myself for being irreverent, but then after found out I was not the only one who has been Disney brainwashed. A scripture he shared was in 1 Nehi:1:12 "and it came to pass that as he read, he was filled with the Spirit of the Lord". I hope when I read my scriptrues that is what happens to me. Some days it does, some days not. He also
talked about the "astonishment" of a number of miraculous conversions in the Bible and Book of Mormon: Paul, Alma the younger, the Sons of Mosiah, the Nephite dissenters whom Lehi and Nephi taught (sons of Helaman). Every conversion, every time someone knowingly steps closer to God, they change and become renewed a little more. There is another scripture in 3 Nephi2:1 that talks about a people who became hard hearted and became less and less astonished at the signs and wonders the Lord provided. I hope I do not become "less astonished" at the goodness the Lord provides to me and my loved ones and those around me. Each day is a gift to me, every breath and every time my muscles moved and when my body works the way it is supposed to is a miracle, and I am astonished at the goodness the Lord brings to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment