Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Words from Sister Brittany Platt in Colorado

Olo Everyone!

Happy Mother's Day on Sunday to every one of you mother's who has influenced my life and helped to raise me (that includes all my friends and my sisters too). I feel so blessed to have so many amazing women in my life. I've been thinking a lot about all of you this last week and I've realized that it truly does take a community to raise a child. Thanks for raising this child! I hope you all have a wonderful, wonderful day and know how much you are loved, revered, honored and appreciated by so many!

So, the reason my e-mail is entitled "Birds" is because, for some reason, the birds here in Colorado are craaaazy! I've hit around 5 to 10 birds with our truck since I've been here in Strasburg. I've only hit like 2 before my mission!!! What the heck? It's like they're daring each other to dive in front of the truck while we drive. Maybe it's some initiation thing with birds? Or maybe they're all high on marijuana too?? I have no idea but it's the weirdest thing! My companions have said the same thing so I know it's not just me! At least I hope not....
 
Anyhow, this last week was so wonderful! The last several weeks have really been crazy and stressful and so hard, so our goal this last week was to just have fun. And we had fun! We finally got to meet Thunder (the Bronco's horse) on Friday and take pictures with him. SO awesome. And his trainer, Ann Wagner, is adorable. The sweetest lady ever. And we talked a lot with her about our missions and the gospel! She said we could come back anytime.....man she'd make a great Mormon! Guess we'll see? And I gotta tell ya, I'm getting really good with donkeys. I love volunteering at the donkey shelter and I'm learning so much. There's one particular donkey, Curry, that I've fallen in love with and want to adopt when I get home. What do you think mom and dad?! Haha, j/k j/k. We've been talking a lot with the owners and the volunteers there about the gospel and our prayers are being answered to teach these wonderful people! We had one lady tell us she's searching for a church so hopefully we can start teaching some of them soon. With justserve projects we can't proselyte so they have to ask us.
 
We also got to go to the temple for a temple tour with our ward and we drove with a less-active woman, Kathy (whose husband is not a member), and she loved it. It was her first time to the temple and she's lived here for almost 15 years! Before she picked us up, she said she was just going to wear pants and then her husband got on her and told her she had to wear a dress to the temple. She was so glad she did and we were so glad her husband told her too! Someday he'll get there and we could tell Kathy felt the same way. Also, one of our investigators came with his family (his wife's a member but less-active) and he loved it! And, one of the family's in the ward brought a non-member with them. It was so neat! We had an amazing tour and we were the first tour of the year. It was very special!

One of our investigators, Guy, is doing really well! He's reading the BOM all the time and is in 2 Nephi. We invited him to be baptized, but he said not yet. I really hope it'll happen for him soon and I know the member family he's living with is a good influence on him. Also, Joslynn, our recent convert, is doing amazing!! Her whole family came to church (except her step-dad) and that was a miracle because her step-dad didn't want his other two kids to go. He's getting very curious about this church, though, so hopefully we'll get to talk to him soon about it.
 
Also, we had Zone Conference this week and it was wonderful. It was all about courage and boy did I need to hear it! I'm grateful for the inspiration I received from that Conference. And, I got to sing at it, which was really fun for me. I still get so nervous every time! Oh well. It was fun! It was weird hearing missionaries going home give their departing testimonies. I've been out almost 9 months and I just can't imagine ever giving mine. I don't want to give mine! Maybe I can be an eternal missionary? Just stay out here forever? :) Well, transfers are this weekend and we'll see if I stay in Strasburg one more time or get transferred. I would love to be here the rest of my mission, but I know the Lord needs other sisters to come out here and experience this place. I just love how the Lord knows us so well and wants to fulfill every dream and wish we have! He knew I wanted to come out here so not only did He let me, but I got to serve here 6 months, wear my cowboy boots, drive a truck, and play with livestock! What a blessing! He loves us SO much and is just anxious to fulfill our dreams! I've realized this week that God is more than just good. He truly is the ultimate, perfect father we could ever dream of. He knows us so well, better than we know ourselves, because He created us. I was imagining the other day seeing Him again and my heart was overfilled. I hope that day, when I do see Him again, that I can give him the tightest hug and feel worthy to do so. I can't wait to see my dad again!

Well, everyone, I love you so much and I'm so grateful for all you do! I love being from St. Johns and I'm so proud to claim that beautiful town as home. Have a wonderful week and God bless you all!

Love, Sister Platt

No comments:

Post a Comment