Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Words from Sister Abbie Waite in Texas

Dear all, 

I could say that nothing spectacular happened this week, but that wouldn't be true! Something spectacular happens every hour of every day!

The life of a missionary is an incredible one. The work in this area of the field is booming. We are working with members like I never have before and seeing the fruits of it. We are working harder than ever to use our time effectively and make the most of the time we have to work here. The love that I have come to feel for the people here is without measure. People are coming out of the woodwork, just waiting for the restored gospel to bless their lives. 

I can't write of everything that happened this week, but I have some bullet points: 
  • An investigator's teenage son who had never joined us for a lesson finally sat in with us and expressed so much interest! He asked about youth groups that are available, and accepted his own copy of the Book of Mormon. With him joining us, we now have the entire family on track for baptism! ¡Que milagro!
  • We had a special sisters' study this week and it was incredible. The things that you can learn from the Spirit if you are prepared are endless! 
  • An investigator we haven't been able to see for a couple of weeks accepted our invitation to the ward Trunk or Treat and showed up just in time to eat a potato and help clean up... but HE CAME! 
  • It rained ALL DAY on Saturday and that made for quite the adventure! I just love the rain! And traffic was basically nonexistent, which was pretty nice. ;) 
  • We gave a church tour to a new investigator and he agreed to be baptized next month! November 21! 
  • I learned so much on an exchange with Sister Snyder! Some people just know how to lead. I just love her! 
No list of bullet points can adequately describe this week, but I hope that gives you a good taste. 

This week, I fell in love with the Book of Mormon all over again. As I've had the opportunity to really study and teach from it, I have learned SO MUCH. The Book of Mormon truly is an evidence of our Heavenly Father's love for us, and I can feel that love every time I open its pages. 

I don't know if I've already done this, and if I have, you'll have to excuse me. I re-read my favorite chapter of the Book of Mormon this morning, and I'd like to paraphrase it for you. Give you a little look into the mind of Sister Waite: 

Alma 26: 

1: My brothers and sisters, behold I say unto you, how great reason have I to rejoice; for could I have supposed when I started from the land of Arizona that God would have granted unto me such great blessings?

2 And now, I ask, what great blessings has He bestowed upon me? Can ye tell?

3 Behold, I answer for you; for our brethren were in darkness, yea, even in the darkest abyss, but behold, how many of them are brought to behold the marvelous light of God! And this is the blessing which hath been bestowed upon me, that I have been made an instrument in the hands of God to bring about this great work.

4 Behold they do rejoice, and have been brought into the fold of God...

8 Blessed be the name of our God; let us sing to His praise, yea, let us give thanks to His holy name, for He doth work righteousness forever.

9 For if I had not come up out of the land of Arizona, these our dearly beloved brethren, who have so dearly beloved me, would still have been strangers to God...

 11 I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.

 12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in His strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise His name forever.

 13 Behold, how many of our brethren has He loosed from the pains of hell; and they are brought to sing redeeming love, and this because of the power of His word which is in me, therefore have I not great reason to rejoice?

 14 Yea, I have reason to praise him forever, for He is the Most High God, and has loosed our brethren from the chains of hell.

 15 Yea, they were encircled about with everlasting darkness and destruction; but behold, He has brought them into His everlasting light, yea, into everlasting salvation; and they are encircled about with the matchless bounty of His love; yea, and I have been an instrument in His hands of doing this great and marvelous work.

 16 Therefore, let me glory, yea, I will glory in the Lord; yea, I will rejoice, for my joy is full; yea, I will praise my God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of His great power, and of His mercy, and of His long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel...

 27 Now when my heart was depressed, and I was about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted me, and said: Go amongst thy brethren and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success.

 31 Now behold, I can look forth and see the fruits of my labors; and are they few? I say unto you, Nay, they are many; yea, and we can witness of their sincerity, because of their love towards their brethren and also towards us...

 35 Now have I not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never was anyone that had so great reason to rejoice as I, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for He has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; He comprehendeth all things, and He is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on His name.

 36 Now if this is boasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation, and my redemption from everlasting wo. Yea, blessed is the name of my God, who has been mindful of this people...

 37 Now my brothers and sisters, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, He numbereth His people, and His bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. 

May we all realize the great reason have we to rejoice! 

Love, 
Sister Waite

No comments:

Post a Comment