Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Words from Sister Brittany Platt in Colorado

Olo everybody!

Week of miracles. Man, where do I start?

Lee is doing amazing! We had a great lesson with her and the Hollingsworths (the missionary couple in our ward) and she has given up lipton tea!! She came to church yesterday and only stayed for Sacrament because she was in a lot of pain. But she's come 3 times to church here and the people are really starting to love her. We feel such an urgency to get her baptized because she is not doing well health-wise. She was in the hospital again last weekend, but she really is a trooper and she keeps going. She made me a blanket back in Strasburg that I finally got and boy, it keeps me warm! She's very talented and can make like 2 afgans a week. It's awesome!

Sofia is doing great! She texted us on Sunday (she wasn't able to come to church because of her karate competition) and said she needed to talk to us. We were like "Oh no. This is either going to be really bad or really good." Well, it was REALLY good! She sent us an awesome text and this is what it said: "So my guy friend Devin was testing for his third degree black belt this wknd. He had to break 3 boards with a punch and he tried three times and shattered two of his knuckles and his hand was extremely swollen. He tried the next day twice but couldn't get it because of his knuckles. So I prayed last night to bless him with the courage, strength, and confidence that he could do it and that my grandmaster would let him pass. I was also praying that he would be okay and get his third degree today. Today they announced that last night he broke the boards and that he passed today. :)" Miracle?? Heck yeah! We were so excited we both screamed! It may seem something very small and simple, but for a 12-year old girl that has had no concept of God growing up and has just started praying for the first time in her life, it was huge. It was such a witness to me that God is SO good and that He does answer prayers! It was such a sweet experience. We texted her a scripture last night about prayer and she texted back asking if she could highlight her scriptures. We were like "Why yes! Please do!" She's amazing. How grateful I am for these wonderful people in my life right now!

So, Sister Dennis and I have several "sayings" that we're doing this transfer. Here they are: "Fear no man"   "Let's ride"  "Shoot the donkey" (referring to trunky talk) and "You wanted me to change the world. Did you think there would be no cost?" -Martin Luther. We've made it a goal this transfer to be consecrated missionaries and to talk to literally everyone. It's a work in progress, but we're seeing miracles from it for sure!

I was reading in the New Testament yesterday and came across 4 wonderful verses that I've been ponderizing. It's the chapter about the Samaritan woman at the well (which is one of my favorite stories), but what I loved the most was what Christ said to His disciples at the well while the woman ran to her city to tell everyone about Christ. This is what He said: 

"35. Say not ye, there are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? Behold, I say unto you, lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest. 36. And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together. 37. And herein is that saying true, One soweth and another reapeth. 38. I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours."

Sometimes we are Sowers and sometimes we are Reapers. Throughout my mission there are times when I'm a Sower and there are times when I'm a Reaper. The point is that BOTH jobs are necessary and that when someone accepts the gospel, we rejoice together at their acceptance. A reaper is no more important than a sower. Sometimes we're both at the same time! But whatever position we are right now, it changes according to what God needs. He is the one who is doing the work, we're just the laborers. So don't get frustrated if you do a lot of sowing! And don't get comfortable at just sowing or don't want just sowing. Because God wants us to be reapers too! And don't think you're bad at missionary work if you go back to sowing. It's all apart of what God needs. Like Christ said, sometimes He sends us in to reap what others have sown and we haven't had to labour. So we need to be ultimately grateful for those sowers because they did all the work! It was a huge awakening for me that I wanted to share with y'all. I hope it helps with your perspective of missionary work! Don't give up if you don't get to reap right away. Be patient with your sowing and when it's the Lord's time and need, you will reap!
Have a wonderful, missionary-filled week and God bless you all!

Love, Sister Platt

No comments:

Post a Comment