Sunday, November 23, 2014

Words from Elder Kade Garner in Peru

"This week was great. We had mission council this week and we learned a ton... well, we learned that the mission president thinks that we are terrible. It was seven hours of just burning us hard, but it was necessary maybe the missionaries will start to change for the better. However he and his wife did teach us some awesome principles about obedience. Elder Nelson said that if we want a specific blessing we need to study the laws that constitute that blessing and then live that law. And want more baptisms so I guess I need to look up what commandments I need to better obey. 
 
This week we also had zone meeting. We decided to start a new tradition here in our zone. We bought a cool plastic trophey that you can fill with candy. The idea is that the companionship that has the most baptisms in the month gets the trophey and gets to write their names on it with the month and the number of baptisms they had and they can eat all the candy out of it. However the next month the trophey has to be passed to the compaionship with the most baptisms and the old winners had to refill the trophey with new candy. Everyone loved the idea and now they are even more excited to baptize... it is just a healthy competition.
 
We really needed new investigators this week and I really want my companion to end the mission with a good going... with lots of success. So, this week we contacted but more aggresively. We decided that every day before with left the room in our prayer we were going to thank the Lord for the new investigators that He was going to give us that day. We always prayed for the goal that we had set in the day. As we were working in the day we changed the way we thought about finding.We had already thanked God for the number of people we were going to find we just had to make sure that we found every single one of them that He wanted to give us. That made the day interesting. Surprisingly the time of day (two o`clock to four) turned out to be the most productive. In these hours we found almost all our new investigators. We are trying something... it is called being greatful instead of getting upset when things do not go your way and we are seeing that when we are greatful inspite of let downs the Lord blesses us with success. We`ll see if it also brings us some baptisms.
 
This week we also had a fast as a district. We have had a hard time getting people to go to church here so we decided to do a fast to help with that. We found so many great people this week and they all said that they would go to church and a few even said that they wanted to get baptized. Well, Sunday came and not a single person came to church. I had almost lost all hope when a man that we had seen last week but not taught came to church with the family he lives with; we baptized and reactivated part of this family. We went to visit him after church. We watched a short video of Christ`s baptism and then we read a little about it in 2 Nephi 31. As we were reading he asked us what he needed to do to be baptized. You better believe that we invited him in that minute to be baptized the 6th of December and he accepted. Miracles always come from fasting and they are never the miracles you were hoping for... they are even better!
 
Fun story, yesterday we were walking to an appointment. She was not there and I noticed a pigeon on the street. As I walked up to it it did not move. I thought it must be hurt. As I got real close it tried to fly away but could not get high off the ground I then knew that it was hurt. I went to get it thinking we need to help it but not thinking how we would do so. I got close and it tried to fly away again. A third time I went to get it. I was being super careful not to scare it when a cat jumped between me legs grabbing the bird by its neck in its mouth. I grabbed the cat. It had to have looked funny. Me grabbing the cat and the cat grabbing the bird... it is the food chain. The cat would not let go so I squeezed it and it let go of the bird and scratched me... so what do I do? I throw the cat like a football. I pick the bird up and I remember that there is an hermana in our ward that saves hurt animals. We start off towards her house and you should have seen the looks of all the Peruvians. They must have thought that they were seeing things. A greengoe in a suit with a pigeon in his hands. I was almost embarrassed when I realized that I am in Peru. I don`t care what the think of me. Pigeon saved!
 
So that was the week. Sorry that I was late writing today. The power went out in the morning so we went to do our activity and now we are sriting home. We played carnavales... really we jut played with water and water balloons outside the church. Oh and an old lady with no teeth hit on me outside the church. She told me that Peru has a lot to offer me and that I should stay a while. What was she trying to get at?... YUCK! By the way it is starting to get so hot here. The heat makes me feel like Christmas is not for months but it is just around the corner. Whelp, I love you all and we will talk next week. 
 
Les amo bastante,"

No comments:

Post a Comment