Sunday, November 23, 2014

Words from Sister Brittany Platt in Colorado

"Hello everybody!

What a wonderful week it has been! We've had so many miracles!! It's amazing how when we look for the good every day we find it! Every day I look for miracles and they happen! What a joy and a blessing. It's also been super cold! We've had a ton of snow and below zero temperatures. My first winter in Colorado! Good thing I like snow cuz brrrrr it's cold!! My companion is from Cali and not the best driver, so we got permission for me to drive. :) Yay for being old and knowing how to drive in the snow! (Watch, just because I boasted like that I'll get in a car accident or something. The Lord's funny that way! :))

So, I've been thinking a lot lately about the work we've been doing with members. Although the work here is slow with investigators it's exploding with members! What an honor and priviledge it has been for me to teach members these stake missionary lessons! We've also been teaching several part-member families, less actives, and the 7, 11, and 17 year olds in our ward. Between all of those, and the committee I'm on, and all the meetings we've been having, we've been SUPER busy! The saying that a busy missionary is a happy missionary is so true! But, being a part of this great work to strengthen the members of this church has been overwhelmingly joyful! And the members are starting to turn into mega missionaries! We had one member this week who point blank invited his coworker to meet with us missionaries and he said yes and asked if he could bring a friend!!! Yay for member missionaries! 

Some cool things that happened this week was he had a non-member call us up and ask us to come over and do service. We helped her for a couple of hours and had a wonderful talking with and serving her. She later commented to her member neighbor that she loved having us over and wants to get to know us more! Yay for service! Something really simple is that our 8 hour has been filled every night I think!! For missionaries, that is such a blessing! When we have no appointments at 8 it's like the most grueling thing ever! 

The member we've been doing the stop smoking program with completed it on Wednesday and is completely free of the desire to smoke!! It's an absolute miracle. Both her doctor and her therapist have been totally bumfuzzled!! They can't believe how much she's changed in the last week and how healthy and clear-headed she is. And she's totally on fire! She's told all of her co-workers about the program and is trying to get some of them to meet with us! MIRACLE! She told me that she believes one of the reasons the Lord had me come out on this mission was to help her. I believe it as well!! I love this woman and her mother with all of my heart!!

We had my first Zone Conference on Thursday and it was wonderful! I put together a quartet and we sang a song called "Come" by Jenny Phillips. We sounded great together and the spirit was so strong! Zone Conference was wonderful and I learned so much. The missionaries here are on fire and we're all gearing up for the explosion of missionary work in 2015. 

The biggest miracles happened on Saturday. We did exchanges with our STL's and Sister Hunter (who's from Holden, UT - right where I grew up and I know her family!) came with me. We decided to do a day of tracting and flooding with the BOM. It was super cold and it snowed all day, but we didn't let that stop us! We were supposed to go do service at a horse therapy place, but they cancelled on us because of the weather. Then right after, out of the blue, a less-active member who's been coming back to church texted us and asked us to come over and do service for him. MIRACLE!! It was wonderful! We had some great conversations with him and he is just on fire with the gospel! He's becoming super involved in the ward and everyone is just loving him. We're going over to help him make pies for the Christmas party in a couple of weeks! After service, we started tracting in the snow and cold. And the most amazing thing happened! We went to visit a potential investigator we've been trying to visit the whole time I've been here and she was finally home! She let us in, gave us herbal tea, and asked tons of questions about the gospel. She's totally golden! She said she wants to hear about our church from us because she doesn't believe in other sources. She's not super religious but she wants to be and she's doing a lot of soul searching right now. She has a BOM and she said she would read and pray and she asked us if she could come to church!! MIRACLE!!!!! We couldn't get a follow up appt with her, but she told us we could come back so we'll definitely check back in a couple of weeks! Then, I had a feeling to go see another potential. She wasn't home, but as we were walking we ran into a young woman who told us she'd just moved here and she's Mormon, but she can't go to church cuz she works on Sunday. We got her information and she invited us back in a couple of weeks!! MIRACLE! Then, because of tracting in the snow, we gave out 3 BOM's, gained 2 new potential investigators that were super nice and invited us back, and talked with a construction worker who had met with the missionaries before. MIRACLES, MIRACLES!!! What an amazing day we had! Even though the weather was awful, we didn't let it stop us and the Lord blessed us abundantly!! I felt a little like a pioneer trudging through all the snow, but feeling on fire!

So, those are my experiences for the week! I love this area and this ward I'm serving in! Transfers are next Monday (we won't find out till Saturday night if we're being transferred or not) and I don't want to leave! I don't feel like my work here is done yet. So, hopefully I can stay for at least another transfer. There's just so much work here to be done!

So, a spiritual thought for you: my STL shared with me what enduring to the end meant to her. She said that Christ is the Beginning and the End, Alpha and Omega. So when we endure to the end, we're enduring to Christ because He is the End! We're enduring through Christ, to Christ, and for Christ. So when you think of having to endure things, don't look at it negatively or complain. Look at it as an opportunity to get to know Christ better! For He is the beginning and the end. We cannot endure this life w/o Him! 

So, I love you all! Please take care of yourselves and always strive every day to look for Miracles because they're there! Thank you for your support and prayers! God bless you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment