Sunday, November 23, 2014

Words from Sister Elese Hauser in Illinois

"Hello!
Well I'm happy to report that this week nothing tried to kill me like bronchitis or killer dogs. Though we did have some interesting adventures that kept me on my toes. I don't think Heavenly Father wants me to leave my mission quietly because we have had quite the week! First of all, I can't believe it's November! I never, ever, ever thought that November of 2014 would ever come. But it's here. And it's going by quickly. With the month of November has come a forecast of many tears and aching hearts for me. I knew the end of my mission would be hard, but this exceeds all of my expectations. Yesterday was my last fast and testimony meeting as a full time representative of Jesus Christ so I took the opportunity to bear my testimony. Of course I babbled like a baby and cried my eyes out like I never have before, but something else happened. I saw a small glimpse of how much I've changed. The very first Sunday I was out in the mission field they asked me to give a talk and bear my testimony. I reflected back on my simple, but fervent testimony then. And marveled at not just how strong my conversion has become in the basics, but how many other areas my testimony has grown. I am so grateful for the change that has taken place inside of me. 
I was studying Grace this morning and I learned a lot! But one thing that really stuck out to me is that I learned that grace is there not to just save us, but to change us. In 2 Nephi 25:23 it says that we are saved by grace after all that we can do. Which is true. But it's not the actual "doing" that saves us, it's who we become while we are doing that. For example, anyone can go and partake of the sacrament on Sunday. But just because someone is there in physical form doesn't mean they are thinking of the atonement, repenting, and resolving to do better. The sacrament and repenting are simply to be catalysts to help us become better. So I challenge you all to think about that this week. Have you been changed by grace? It's not just simply reading our scriptures, or going to church, or attending the temple that changes us. But the change comes in us as we all decide that we are going to let those opportunities change us. I could go on for hours, but I'm sure you'd all tire of my discourses.

So this week was Peoria week! It turned out really well and we had lots of fun. We first went to Pekin. It was weird serving for the last time in Pekin but it didn't break my heart too much because I was there for such a short amount of time. While there I had the chance to go on exchanges with my old companion, Sister Teerlink!! It was such a treat to see her growth and strength. I truly have been blessed to serve with the best companions. And then we went to Morton and Bloomington. In Morton we did tract into a mean lady. She told me how deceived I was and then grabbed me in a big hug and started crying because she felt so bad for me. Awkward.... And then she wrote down my name so that she could pray for me. I gladly let her write down my name because I'll take all the prayers I can get right now!:) and then in Bloomington I went on exchanges with a Sister Oliphant from Mesa Arizona. She knows Blake Rogers and Bryant Crosby! Bryant is Ken and Pams grandson who lives in Mesa and I hang out with him most summers. So it's a small small world! Dad, you'll never guess what we did?! We mowed someone's lawn! And I didn't complain once. Aren't you so proud of me?:) And we even took pictures to prove it.
While in Peoria we got a phone call from the assistants asking if we'd give a training the next day in Mission Leadership Council. So we trained about getting investigators to come to church for about 20 minutes. President Fenn just sent his daughter on a mission and he started crying because he already missed her so much. It reminded me of my Dad and how he cries himself to sleep every night because he misses me so much! :) Haha, and then President started talking about all the things he would do with his daughter and how much he loved her and on and on. That really reminded me of my Dad! But then it got really creepy when he said Dads famous quote "Do as i say, not as I do." Sometimes I feel like my Dad is haunting me! But then I just got excited to see him again:)
We returned back to Elgin and found it all in order. Last week we taught Joe the word of wisdom and when we called him this week this is what he said, "Sisters, I've been having THE WORST headaches. But I'm not drinking coffee just like I promised you I wouldn't. Instead I've been drinking herbal tea." We were so happy when he said that!! If only all of our investigators would keep their promises like this humble man. Our mission is focusing a lot on beginning with the end in mind and teaching about temples sooner, so we taught Joe the plan of salvation and temples and eternal families. His response was, "Wow..... This is amazing. I've never heard of this before sisters." Yeah we know Joe! That's why we're here:)  And then we had a miracle yesterday in the form of Roy McCoy coming back to church! I pray for him every day because he is so ready for baptism. He is going to start coming back to church but isn't ready to meet with us yet.
And then yesterday evening we got home from an appointment only to find that we had locked ourselves out of our apartment!! And we locked our spare key in the apartment too.... Lesson learned: don't leave your spare key in the apartment. It will do you no good when you need to get it. So we called our landlord and she let us back into our apartment. I also learned that it's officially fall and it's cold when you have to stand outside for an hour! So many memories!
Well there really isn't much else. We have a meeting all day tomorrow that we have to train at and then we have 3 back to back to back exchanges to go on. So I hope you all have a great week and remember to read your scriptures! Happy November!"

No comments:

Post a Comment