Sunday, December 13, 2015

Words from Elder Chandon Herring in Washington DC

Well this week was wonderful but this weekend was even better! President Nelson of the 12 apostles came to re organize the stake presidency of The Washington DC stake and dedicate a new church building on Capitol Hill. He was in town from Friday to Sunday night. We had several fire sides/meetings with him but he did not meet with the missionaries. He was way too busy. He just came from Asia and so many random countries. Very tired man but he moved about buoyantly. First thing is first I was absolutely correct our Bishop in the Rockville Ward became the Stake President! Bishop Baird is so amazing. I will send you his talk. Then the second councilor was Bishop Nelson of the DC3rd Ward from the start of my mission. It really was a spirit packed weekend and endless learning and meaning in every detail. I loved it all. We had a lot of good trainings and meetings this week as well. The hardest part is we have started the Elder Ballard challenge where each person talks to and invites 10 people a day. So 20 per companionship. It really is not that difficult but when you are in meetings and trainings and planning all day it gets a little bit more difficult to get. We did not miss a single day and we end at the end of December. It is so wonderful though because it helps us keep our focus on our purpose everyday even if it is for a brief time. President Cooke is trying to do it as well. We were down in ANACOSTIA again this last week and did some contacting when it was pretty darn late and super cold. It really was a neat experience because all of the people we spoke with were accountable and able to keep commitments. They all have such a hunger for truth. The people in SE DC are so receptive to the spirit. I love serving here and it really is such a neat time to be in the lords vineyard. We are safe and vigilant and doing our best to be better. I love you all and hope you have a great week!

Family and friends,

I failed to take the time to celebrate thanksgiving with you in my letter. I am so grateful to have you to lean on and support me. You all have touched me and guided me countless times in my life by your example in the life you live. I would not be here doing what I am doing without each and every one of you. I am especially indebted to my mother and father. Those two individuals have dedicated so much time and love (and food :) ) into my wellbeing and progress that I can never say thank you enough. You all are amazing!  Have a wonderful thanksgiving and be safe!

Elder Herring

No comments:

Post a Comment