Sunday, December 13, 2015

Words from Sister Abbie Waite in Texas

Dear all, 

This week has been an incredible whirlwind of so much that it's gone in a blur. It's one of those things where it feels like last Monday was three years ago, yet it also feels like it was 5 minutes ago. Time is a weird thing like that. 

Why was time a weird thing this week?! Transfers, that's why! I got the news to pack up on Tuesday and showed up to transfer meeting on Thursday anxious and ready to know where I would be spending the next 5 weeks of my mission (we'll be having transfers a little early this time around because of Christmas). In the TSAM, we have two transfer meetings: one in San Antonio at 9 am and one in Austin at 2 pm. The missionaries in San Antonio gather to hear who will be going where, and it takes about an hour. Then, missionaries staying in San Antonio get to go back to work, and those going up to Austin head on up! The Austin transfer meeting goes the same way. They call out areas and which missionaries will be serving there. If your name isn't called, you know that you're either heading up to Austin or down to San Antonio, depending on which meeting you're at. (Don't worry if you're confused... I'm confused, too. We're in this together.) 

I waited anxiously as they called names, but mine wasn't called. If you successfully deciphered that last paragraph, you know what that means... I'm now in San Antonio! It's a little different, but Texas is still Texas and I still love it! I'm in an area called Balcones Heights with my wonderful companion Sister Johnson! I've also been given the special assignment to be a historian. I have the opportunity to go to a bunch of meetings and take notes and gather blurbs from other missionaries about their thoughts and feelings on the meeting and put them all together into a monthly history of the mission that will be sent to Salt Lake and be available to anyone in the world! So lots of writing! I'm so excited! I get to catch the vision of the mission and put it into words! 

Balcones Heights is incredible! So many miracles are happening! I can hardly wait to see more and more! There are so many people out and about! That's one thing I missed about my first area. I'm so excited to talk to everyone and open my mouth and share the gospel! 

I was reading in the Book of Mormon this week and learned something new. (When does that not happen, though? Isn't the word of God so incredible?) I was reading in 3 Nephi 7:18. It says: 

"...it came to pass that they were angry with him, even because he had greater power than they, for it were not possible that they could disbelieve his words, for so great was his faith on the Lord Jesus Christ that angels did minister unto him daily." 

Nephi, an incredible missionary and prophet, had been teaching a people who just didn't want to listen. Yet, because of his faith, it was not possible for them to disbelieve his words! Oh that I could have such great faith as Nephi that people could not disbelieve my words! It seems unattainable, but it isn't! How can I gain such great faith? Here are some of my ideas:
    * Earnest prayers
    * Scripture STUDY, not just reading
    * Repentance
    * Obedience
    * Service
    * Preparation for revelation

These are all ideas on how you, too, can increase your faith. What are some other ideas that you have? I'd love to hear them! 

May we always be seeking to increase our faith in the Redeemer of this world! 

Love, 
Sister Waite

No comments:

Post a Comment