Saturday, December 13, 2014

Words from Elder Chandon Herring in Washington DC

Hello everyone! This was yet another amazing week in the Greatest
Mission in the History of Life!!! We had transfer call outs this week
and I will be staying in the Glendale YSA ward with Elder Sorensen.
The way the pattern is going so far I will be training next transfer
when Elder Sorensen leaves! AHHHHHHH! But It will be a fun
opportunity.


SO glad to see that Aunt Anna made it home safe. She is
incredible and a great example to us all. I am excited to hear about
her mission. Well lets look at the week.
Tuesday... I had my first and only district meeting of the transfer
today! It was nice being able to see my district and it is nice only
having one meeting. We had a great lunch at Sister Mays home. She is
the Mom to a lot of missionaries here in this Zone. She is the
ultimate black stereotype. Big, sassy, great cook, and hysterical! She
normally feeds Elders a scotch bonnet pepper when they first come but
she was not able to get one for me. I was not too mad because they are
supposedly a super super hot pepper. She loved my Christmas tie that
Hailey Overson gave me. It is one with Santa and reindeer and penguins
playing football.


We had dinner at a recent convert of about 4 weeks
home. Mike and his fiancé Michelle. They are great and we had a
classic dinner of burgers. He and Elder Sorensen get along well
because they both love Lacrosse. We taught them the Restoration again
but mostly had them teach us in a way. He understands super well.


Wednesday... Today was a busy yet not busy morning of some car repairs and
apartment inspections. The Kelly's, one of my favorite Senior Couples,
did the inspection and we talked to them for a while. We went with
Jason the WML again and visited a lot of people from our unassigned
list. No one answered or lived there so we did not get to teach
anyone. We went to the institute for dinner and class. They are doing
classes on the differenct Apostles. This time was President Uchtdorf.
He is so cool! Did you know he only got his associated degree? But he
is great. Jason is a huge Packers fan and he was talking about how
there OLine is like IHOP. Say it out loud and you will get it. The
International House of Pancakes. hahaha I thought it was so funny!.


Thurday... One of those depressing days. Rex had one too. EVERYTHING
CANCELLED!!!!!!!! We had 4 great lessons planned for investigators and
a LA. But, nooooooooo... That darn agency thing. So we had fun driving
around, online time, and ya. So not much to say about today.


Friday... Today was super good! I loved the study time I had. I read a
talk by Elder Holland again called My Words Never Cease from April
2008. It is sooooo goooood! You should all read it. We finished
visiting all of the unassigned addresses in DC then had lunch with
Ryan. He is the Elders Pres. He made German Pancakes with his roommate
David. I felt sick after but they were good. We got dressed then went
to the Temple to do parking for the Festival of Lights. We filled the
Temple, VC, and Stake center parking lots for the concerts! Hurray! I
also had a few sweet moments where the spirit was able to help build
my testimony even more of the Gospel and especially the temple. First
off the spirit is so strong at the temple.  There was a lady
who was taking pictures and I asked if she wanted me to take one of
her and the temple. She was super happy and I asked how she like the
lights. She said I love them and the temple. I am waiting for my
Husband who just did the work for my Dad... We had a great
conversation and as I was thinking about it after it really just made
me feel so happy that that work was able to be done! This church is SO
true!


Then I was even able to see the two best looking sisters for a
while. That is a different story though and I am really mad because
they go home on Wednesday! NOOOO!!! (Nice.  Still a teenage boy...lol)


Saturday... Today I saw Kadee Avila! WHAT!! I was not expecting that
at all! We were at the temple in the evening and our investigator was
walking around outside with his member fiancĂ©  so we were inside
because A) Sorensen was sick and B) It is awkward being around that stuff
as a missionary. But she walked up and I did not recognize her for a
second. I was thinking who is this and why is she smiling? Should I
know who you are? Did I contact you somewhere? Oh its Kadee. It was
weird only being able to shake her hand. But so good to see her!


Anyway, this morning I got a lot of study time because Elder Sorensen
had the Flu. I enjoyed it very much. We decorated a Gingerbread house
with our roommates over their lunch. It looks terrible but it was
fun. We had dinner with a member before going to the temple. She is
great. We had a rough time getting to teach Colleen and Gerald at the
VC. They said they would be there at 5:30 then 6 then not at all then
7. So while we were there waiting I helped out with parking again because they were short handed.  I had fun. I helped two old ladies up
the stairs. The best part was our brief conversation because they are
just so sweet! We had a great concert by the DC temple Orchestra. Then
home.


Sunday... 73 years after Pearl Harbor. NOT A SINGLE PERSON BROUGHT IT
UP!!!!!!!! I was a little irritated so I brought it up. It was fun to
talk about it. I read a great 1971 GC talk by Harold Taylor entitled
Man Cannot Endure On Borrowed Light. It was sooooo goooooood!! Again.
But for every talk I have suggested this one is a must above all
others. If you never read what I suggest or like please try to
read this one.


We had
church and we were almost late because Elder Sorensen backed into a
car! I bet you are asking wait I thought Chandon should have been
backing him. Well I was and he was not paying attention to me. He not
only hit the car but he nailed me! So needless to say I was slightly
irritated. But life goes on. We are getting a new car soon anyway!


We had a great day at church with lessons that inspired. I loved the
one on honoring the priesthood. It was just what one of our
investigators needed! We were able to go check on some more people
with no one home. Does anyone ever go to their homes here? I am
beginning to doubt. We watched the Christmas devotional. It was well
done. The music was one of my favorite parts.


Today we were able to go do a tour of the Capital Building. It is
undergoing some renovation at the moment but is still super beautiful!
I had a great time. I made Banana nut bread and will be staying the
night with the DC 3rd South Elders because we are doing yet another
white House tour. This time we can take pictures and we can go into
the Oval Office! I am so pumped!!!!!!


Love you all! Have a great and
wonderful day/week!

PS Our Zone Leaders are terrible and do not give us mail. They do it
every two weeks or so. So if any of you are sending me letters or
anything please send it to this address.

Elder Chandon Herring
6210 Belcrest Rd.
Hyattsville, MD 20782

No comments:

Post a Comment