Monday, January 12, 2015

Words from Elder Chandon Herring in Washington DC

"Hola mi amigos!
Well this week was super awesome and is one of the best yet for many
obvious reasons! You will see them shortly. Thank you all for writing
if you do, and thanks for your prayers and love! You are all great and
have helped me so much in my life! I still look to you for an example
and model of what I want to be! Love you all!


Monday... OK on pday we played a lot of hockey and it was great! I
scored in the shootout at the end! It was a super good game and really
intense! It is great to have active stuff we can do on pday.


Afterwards we went with Jason to teach Million. He is on date for the 8th of Feb. We
taught the first part of the plan of salvation and it went really well! He
asks a lot of questions so that is good. We have learned how to
simplify it a lot so that we are more effective in teaching him. He
struggles with the language barrier.


Afterwards we had Buffalo Wild Wings
for dinner and we ate at Jason, the WML, home. He is the only member
so we tried to teach his brother Jacob. They are twins and when you
cant see them but can hear them arguing it sounds like Jason is
arguing with himself. It is super funny! It was a great night and we
commited Jacob to come to church two sundays. That is a huge
accomplishment because he NEVER will come. I guess my charm got to him
haha.


Tuesday... The first real snow... NO!! It was so cold and icy! On the
way to the gym at 5:30 we saw a lot of cars that were off the road and
stuck and all sorts of a mess. But we had a lot of people in our car
so our traction was a little better. People here also do not know how
to drive in any sort of weather. Rain, snow or shine, they stink. On
the way back from the gym guess how long our normally 15 minute drive
took? ONE AND A HALF HOURS!!!!!!! We were stuck in the most horrendous
traffic! When we got home we listened to the call out from the APs
saying that no one is allowed to drive until further notice. That came
at 6:30am when we were gone.


We studied and then road the bus to Sister
Mays home for lunch. She is the best! She fed us these amazing
enchiladas that were full of chicken! The sauce was great too!  We had a
great time and Elder Greding beat the record for the most Scotch
Bonnet peppers eaten in one sitting. He ate 11 of them in under 3
minutes! The previous record was 9 in 30 minutes! So we were so
excited to see it!


On the way home walking to the bus stop a car drove
by and hit a puddle... a big puddle... that then got airborne... and
then landed on me and two other elders. We were super happy still! It
was a great day! They lifted the call on not driving and we were off to an
apt with Jose. He needed it and it was an amazing visit. He is so
cool! Michael moved out so that is no longer a worry for Jose. We had
5 guys for dinner with Ryan the Elders quorum pres and then visited two
LA (Less Actives). They are great and are trying to come to church again! So close!
Good day.


Wednesday... Today was the only slow day... We went on exchanges with
Jason and checked on people. The only lesson we got though was at
dinner with a few non members who were there. It was a great night.
The lesson went well but one of them is now back in Boston and the
other is nice but as of right now not interested. But we will see... hahaha.


Thursday... Today was really good. I have really been enjoying my goal
of reading the standard works. It is really cool being able to reread
all of the lives of those great prophets.


Elder Greding gave me his hockey stick. It is a huge defensive stick and he
says that is what I am best at so sweet! It will be great on pday. We
had four apts scheduled today but three fell through. We had the
chance to check on people in the city. We ran into Ceasar. He is just
the best! Super strong testimony and belief in the power of prayer.
Today was super cold too. Teens or so all day I think, but not near as
bad as Rex or Jake. When the evening came I left to go on exchanges
with the district leaders comp. Elder Harrison, he is from my MTC
district and we were in his area. They are struggling a lot. When we
started to plan that night I asked what they had for tomorrow and he
said nothing. Their area needs some TLC. But we planned for a good day.


Friday... Exchange day! Today as I was reading in the Old Testament I
was reading about Joseph. He was being tempted by Potiphers wife and
all and the scriptures talk about how he basically did everything he
could to not be around her. He avoided the temptation at all costs. Of
course eventually she gets him alone and he literally runs out. He was
there "doing his business" and she came. That is how a lot of our struggles come about. People are just doing their business and the adversary gets them. Do we have the strength to run? It is worth it! I
love the story of Joseph.


Anyway we had a good day of running errands.
We had to drive the spanish elders around because their car was broke
and we joined them for some appointments. They are great. At around 3
we got rid of them and were on exchanges with a member. His name is
Maxwell and he is super cool! He is a RC (Recent Convert) and is going to serve a
mission! He is going to be an amazing missionary. He has a super
strong testimony and loves to share it! 


Saturday... Today began the greatest weekend ever! We met this morning
with President Eyring! But first we had a good morning. I was able to
finish most of the story of Joseph. When he so freely forgives and
reveals himself to his brothers, man it is so cool! He is such a good
example to us all! It does not matter what we go through we should and
can easily forgive.


Anyway then we went to the VC to see President Eyring. His brother has been the director over the VC so we see him a
lot and his mission is going to be ending soon. So sad. He and his
wife are great people and so kind! Pres. Eyring came in and spoke to
us for about an hour after Pres and sis cooke did. I literally felt
like he was talking to me directly. For two reasons. One is that I received revelation for myself. He answered questions and answered prayers that I have been seeking for a long time. then two he was
looking directly at me the entire time! Of course he looked around a
little but he almost never looked at the other half of missionaries
and when he was looking at us he was staring right at me. Especially
when he was giving the counsel that I needed. The theme of the whole
thing was discerning. He talked about how we need to pray constantly
to know the thoughts, desires, challenges, and needs of every single
person we meet. He talked about some other things that are very
personal to me that have really changed the way I work and think. He
is an inspired servant of God. He is a Prophet of God and is in tune
with the spirit which leads and guides him. He knows what we need and
he is a great example to us. I love, respect, and sustain him.


His brother spoke for a little and he talked about how "Hal" was his hero.
He spent time with and loved him all through their life. It was quite
hysterical when Sister Cooke mentioned that her mother dated Pres
Eyring. We got a good laugh and Pres Eyring talked about it a little.
Today really was one of the most uplifting and edifying days of my
mission. I left with a renewed sense of purpose and energy to serve. I
love it!!!!!


Sunday... Today was just great as well! We had our normal Sunday
morning of studies, meetings, and all that jone. But while we were
talking to Lesha just before sacrament meeting started Manny walked
in! We had two investigators at church! Manny is super solid and
trying so hard! Sorensen was with him most of the time and I was with
Iesha. Iesha has a great desire to learn. She is by far the most solid
person I have ever taught. She is eager, happy, and dedicated. We
invite and she does. She was Muslim and is now going to be a Member of
the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! It is truly the best!
As we were sitting in church and I had just explained the sacrament to
her and was taking it myself I really felt the joy that this gospel
brings. I was really thinking this is it! This is what happiness is. I
have two amazing children of God that are here and loving it with a
ward that loves and helps them. i have a great companion who we may
struggle at times but when it comes down to it he is great. I am so
blessed to have the chance to be here and I love it! My family loves
and supports me, I have amazing friends, and I am surrounded by
amazing people. I am so blessed!  This is what makes me happy. It is
just the best, I am so excited for Mason to get this chance soon! Good
luck! It is great! This is what it is all about!


Anyway. We had great lessons and met with Iesha. We taught the Restoration and checked her understanding of it. She has great comprehension and is going to
continue to progress! We had the CES devotional that night after
dinner with Ryan. It went well and was a great talk. Some good quotes to!


Today... We are having a zone activity. We are doing sports and it
will be fun. Then we are meeting with Million tonight. All is great!
Transfers are next Wednesday. I am sure I am staying and Sorensen is
leaving. Thanks again! Love you all!"

No comments:

Post a Comment