Sunday, January 4, 2015

Words from Sister Hailey Overson in the MTC (Brazil)

"Hey everyone!! Sister Overson here:) Well this week has just been... fantastic. Seriously, I am absolutely loving it here!! But I'll start from the beginning.

So the first day I got to the MTC, I was with all the other missionaries, waiting to get our name tags and companions. I thought everything was great. And then I was pulled aside and given a name tag that read said "solo" on it. I've been a solo sister all week, which means that I'm the only sister missionary in my district. The first day was difficult. I felt super left out and alone because I didn't have a companion. But once we all figured out how solo sisters' rules work, everything's been great! I basically just hang out with the five elders in my district all the time. We've all grown so close. Everyone who knows how awkward I am is probably cracking up right now. And trust me, that first day was soo incredibly awkward. But now it's good! I've always wanted an older brother and now I have 5! Also, the elders in the district that came in right before us say they're my dad... so I guess we're all just an awkward family right now. There were three sisters that I roomed with but they all left today. I got a real companion yesterday.. So that was sad. But I love it here. 

We taught our first lesson on Friday IN PORTUGUESE!! It was insane. Elder Holeman, Elder Harrison and I had no idea what we were doing or saying. It's been so frustrating, but I'm so grateful for this chance I have to be here. I love this place. Our lessons have progressively gotten better. I mean, we still have no idea what our investigator is saying... but we handle it better now I guess? We work really hard to understand and to speak and have the Spirit. 

So the first Sunday I was here, they called me to be Sister Training Leader in our zone. A little overwhelming since I still have no idea where anything is and I haven't even been here for a week. I know it'll be ok though. The Lord is in charge, so whatever happens is supposed to happen. I just hope that I can do this. Also on Sunday, I was called on to give a talk. They do this thing here, where they tell everyone to be ready to give a talk and then right after the sacrament, they announce who's going to give it. When they announced my name, I almost killed over. Seriously. I was about ready to cry. But I gave my talk in English, since I'm allowed to do that because it's my first week, and I sat back down... still alive. Whoo hoo! Sunday was aweome though. So many wonderful talks and then the BYU Men's Chorus came and sang to us!! They were AMAZING! 

Yesterday, I got a real companion. She was here in October for a month, but had to get surgery on her shoulder. So now she's back. She knows way more about everything than me... so I kind of feel like an idiot for being the STL and stuff. But I'm working on it. She does a really good job of keeping me focused, since I seem to have a hard time doing that sometimes. But this is all for the better! 

Thank you all so much for your love and support. I'm so grateful for every one of you. I love this church and I feel so blessed to have this opportunity to go on a mission. The church is true!!! Also I would send pics, but my camera didn't have a memory stick until last night (Elder Brady gave me an extra one, so Mom, you don't need to send one). So I'll send pictures next week!! Tchau!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment