Sunday, January 25, 2015

Words from Sister Brittany Platt in Colorado

"Olo Everyone!

So, we didn't get to e-mail yesterday because all the libraries were closed in observance of the holiday. But, luckily, we get to e-mail today!!! Woo hoo!
 
So, this past week has been full of miracles! The biggest ones had to do with Jeff and Sarah. Sarah got out of the hospital on Wednesday and we met with them Friday night. A couple from our ward came with us! Can I just say, if you've never gone to a lesson with the missionaries call them up right now!! There is so much power from members being present at lessons! They bring such a spirit in and give an immediate support system to the investigator. Anywhoo, we taught them the Plan of Salvation and they accepted everything! The Lord is bringing back to their remembrance what they learned in the pre-earth life. It was amazing! And both of them told us they know that Joseph Smith was a prophet!! They said it just makes sense and they feel it's true. What the heck?!?! MIRACLE!!!! They haven't been diligent about reading and praying about the Book of Mormon, so we emphasized that and they said they would. So, we had prayed about a date for their baptism and we felt to do it on Valentine's day, which is a Saturday. So, for the first time on my mission, I finally got to extend this invitation and they accepted!!!! It was the best feeling ever! I know as missionaries we're supposed to be professional, but I may have done a little shout for joy when they accepted. :) It was really neat because when I first told them how we had prayed about it and gave the date to them, they both looked shocked. Jeff said that Sarah didn't like Valentine's day. Sarah then explained that she was working at a movie theater on that day when a man came in, pointed a gun to her chest, and told her to give him all the money in the cash register. It really scarred her!! Sister Hoemann told her that we could change the bad memories she had with February 14th into good memories with her baptism and she whole-heartedly agreed!! It was truly the spirit speaking to their hearts and they were excited about the date. And the members that came with us bore their testimonies and talked about baptism and really connected with Jeff and Sarah!

Then, if that wasn't miraculous enough, Jeff and Sarah came to church on Sunday, stayed for all three hours, and Jeff bore his testimony about Joseph Smith in Priesthood!!!! And Sarah signed up for the weekly Relief Society e-mail and is coming to an activity on Tuesday to gold-leaf a picture of the temple so she can hang it up in her home!!! They also texted us and asked if we could get them a Gospel Principles manual so they could have that with them as they studied at home. GOD IS GOOD!!!!!!! Oh my goodness, it is truly a miracle. And the thing is, we really haven't done anything!!! It is such a testimony to me that this really is God's work and the spirit is what teaches people. I'm just the messenger! What a glorious thing to be a part of His work! And the coolest thing is, we wouldn't have found Jeff and Sarah if it wasn't for the Relief Society President in our ward! She had done the work of praying what Less-Actives for us to go see and giving us a sheet of names. If she hadn't done that, the likelihood of us showing up at Jeff and Sarah's home (they were living in a Less-Active's former home) would be pretty much a zero! So members, we need you! The miracles come from you being pro-active in your individual missionary work and your callings! Tracting is the WORST way to do missionary work I promise! We need you!
 
Some other cool miracles is we got three new investigators (another couple who are searching for a church and a part-member family), one of our investigators is thinking about getting baptized, we now get to do service at a donkey shelter every week (we got to muck stalls----we were both so excited you would've thought we were nuts! Who gets excited about cleaning up poo?? #smalltowncountrygirls), we were in charge of the mutual activity (it was to end the missionary competition we were doing with the youth) and the youth loved the missionary competition! They gave out so many copies of the BOM and invited friends to church and activities (several came) and they and their parents talked about the miracles they saw in their lives from doing missionary work. The primary also finished their missionary competition and they had more miracles and experiences than the youth did! Soooo awesome!
 
Well, I just wanted to say one last thing. A mission is hard! There are miracles and it's wonderful, but it's also very frustrating and tiring and overwhelming at times. I've never felt so inadequate and weak in my whole life. I'm struggling with things and Satan seems to be working on me even harder since I've been in Strasburg. I've gotten really discouraged and have been on my knees many nights crying and pleading with the Lord for strength. Sometimes He's silent and I don't feel like He is answering my prayers. But, despite all the hardship, I want you all to know this truly is the greatest thing I've ever done! It's all worth it! Thank you for your prayers! I know their helping! I can feel the power of them in my life. I would ask that this week you pray for my health. I haven't been feeling well and I've been worried, but my mission president is giving me a blessing on Thursday and I know I will be healed. :) Thank you all so much for everything! I'm the most blessed girl on the planet I feel like!

Have a wonderful week and know that God loves you and is always aware of you! "

No comments:

Post a Comment