Monday, January 19, 2015

Words from Elder Jake Zieler in Canada

 Hello everyone!
>
>      This week has been a cool and inspired week. It was cool because I felt my first earthquake. The best way i can describe how it felt is you know when you stand up too fast after sitting down for a long time and you get light headed and dizzy? it felt exactly like that without being light headed. Pretty cool.
>     It was an inspired week because i kept studying and thinking about a talk given by President Uchtdorf from this past October General Conference called "Lord is it I?" it's probably one of my favorite talks and yesterday at church, there was a great talk given on the same topic. Super inspired. "I'd just like to share some of my favorite parts of President Uchtdorf's talk with you.
>        "It was our beloved saviors final night in mortality, evening before he would offer himself as a ransom for all mankind. As he broke bread with his deciples, he said something that must have filled their hearts with great alarm and deep sadness. "One of you shall betray me." He told them. The deciples didn't question the truth of what he said. Nor did they look around point to someone else and ask, "Is it him?" Instead,"They were exceeding sorrowful, and began everyone of them to say unto him, Lord is it I?"
>        I wonder what each of us would do if we were asked the question by the savior. Would we look at those around us and say in our hearts, "He's probably talking about Brother Johnson. I've always wondered about him." Or, "I'm glad Brother Brown is here. He really needs to hear this message." Or would we, like those deciples of old look inward and ask that penetrating question: "is it I?"    - President Uchtdorf
>            Reading these words reminded me of a story that i've heard not to long ago. It fits along the lines of this subject. It's called " The deaf wife problem"
>       "Bert feared his wife Peg wasn't hearing as well as she used to and he thought she might need a hearing aid. Not quite sure how to approach her, he called the family doctor to discuss the problem. The doctor told him there is a simple informal test the husband could preform to give the Dr. a better idea about her hearing loss.
>        'Here's what you do.' said the Dr,'stand about 40 feet away from her, and in a normal conversational speaking tone, see if she hears you. if not, go to 30 feet, then 20 feet, and so on until you get a response.' That evening, the wife is in the kitchen cooking dinner, and he was in the living room. He says to himself, "I'm about 40 feet away, lets see what happens." then in a normal tone he asks, "Honey, what's for dinner?" No response. So the husband moves closer to the kitchen, about 30 feet from his wife and repeats, "Peg, what's for dinner?" Still no response. Next he moves into the dining room where he is about 20 feet from his wife and asks, "Honey, what's for dinner?" Again, no response. So he walks up to the kitchen door about 10 feet away, "Honey, what's for dinner?" Again, there is no response. So he walks up right behind her. "Peg, what's for dinner?" "Dang it Bert!! For the FIFTH time, it's chicken!!"
>          Haha I thought this was a pretty funny story along "Lord is it I?" that i would pass on. The reason why this talk was so inspired to me is because I've been praying to be stripped of pride and a quote from President Uchtdorf really stuck out to me. It says, " We must put aside our pride, see beyond our vanity, and in humility ask, "Lord is it I?"
>           The mission is going great! i'm learning so much everyday! I hope you all have a great week! Love and miss you all!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment