Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Words from Sister Abbigail Waite in Texas

Hey all! :) 

So let's see... this week was certainly interesting. And it definitely did that "missionary time" thing where it feels sooo long, but looking back on it... it was so quick!

I wish I could just tell you everything that happened this week... Maybe I'll start photocopying my journal... Just know that I was clawed by a cat, was asked if I was Amish, met a dog named Cosmo that looked exactly like my dog named Cosmo, decided that Texans really like to drive Mustangs and Camaros, visited the biggest gas station to ever be built (it was literally insane... Oh Texas), made blankets for cats because apparently that's a thing, almost froze to death in my apartment because apparently Texas can get cold, found out that black licorice jelly beans make my tongue go numb, and ate dinner at Ty Detmer's house. 

Yes, Mom. Ty Detmer. ;) I wasn't going to say anything, but I guess I will... just for you. :) 

For those of you who don't know, Ty Detmer was a quarterback at BYU who won the Heisman and then went on to play in the NFL. I guess he was pretty good or something. ;) Every time I'd go to a BYU football game this fall, my mom would casually mention that Ty Detmer was the quarterback when she was a freshman, and she was so proud of it. So when I just happened to be on exchanges on the exact day that the Detmer family signed up to feed the missionaries in their area... Yeah. I'm not going to go into my reaction. Haha! But it was really cool. He puts his cornbread in his chili, just like me (which means it's totally normal and not something that people should think is weird... :) ). They even fed us pie. It was really neat to listen to his conversion story. He just always had good examples in his life. It really makes me appreciate the great examples I've grown up with in my life. :) (I may also mention that he recognized me later in the week at a stake youth missionary activity. So I guess you could say I'm sort of a big deal. ;) ) 

I'm so excited for Saturday. Why?! Because Alana and Jadon are getting baptized! I love them so much. Alana is a sweet young mother with her 8 year-old son (Jadon) and a 4 month old baby named... Abby! Yep! That's right! She's the cutest thing, but no surprises there. ...Because she's 4 months old... not the name. ;) Jadon is super awesome. He has so many great questions. They're both so great and I can tell they're both so excited! It's so wonderful to watch people take this step closer to Christ and "enter the gate"-so to speak- on their way to eternal life. :) 

This week I learned more and more that the promises of God will always be fulfilled. Especially the one found in D&C 33:10  "...open your mouths and they shall be filled..." I've definitely come to know that. I used to be silent because I didn't know what to say, but I'm finding more and more that if I'll but open my mouth to speak, even if I don't know what I'm going to say... It comes. And it's amazing. (D&C 84:85)

I was also studying about fear and faith. The relationship is best summed up in Matthew 14 (22-31). Yes, the walking on the water story. When the disciples first see Christ walking on the sea, they get scared and cry out in fear. He "straightway" tells them to "be not afraid". Peter takes that to heart and says "...bid me come unto thee on the water." This amount of faith is rewarded: he gets out of the boat and walks on the water. I like to think that as he is walking, he's keeping his eyes fixed on the Lord. He's demonstrating his faith and walking on water to meet his Master. But then he gets distracted. Peter notices the "boisterous" wind and was afraid. As soon as he is afraid, his faith --which was enabling him to walk on water-- disappears. He begins to sink and cries out for help. Jesus IMMEDIATELY reaches out, but says "O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?"

In this story we see illustrated the simple fact that fear and faith cannot coexist. Where there is any fear, there can be no faith, and where there is any faith, there cannot be fear. Letting fears and doubts become our main focus chases away any faith that we think we may have. Peter had enough faith to walk on water, but as soon as he feared and doubted, he couldn't do it anymore. Let's make sure to not fear. Let faith lead and guide your life. You'll be immensely blessed for it. I know because I've experienced it. Cast any fears, doubts, or burdens you have on the Lord and have full faith in His plan for you. He is always there and He will always help you. Have faith! 

I hope you all have a wonderful week! :) 

Love, 
Sister Waite

The pictures: 
1) My battle wounds from the cat attack... You should see the cat! ;) (No cats were harmed, I promise...)
2) Bucee's... the biggest gas station I've ever seen... the candy "aisle" is insane.
3) Sister Felix! My sister training leader! She was with me at the Detmer's! :) 
4) Texas... :) 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment