Sunday, February 7, 2016

Words from Sister Abbie Waite in Texas

Dear all, 

I hope you had a very merry Christmas! It was wonderful down here in Texas, and 80 degrees! Can't complain about that! We saw many miracles and found so many people who want to learn more about the gospel! Christmas really is a time of miracles! 

The opportunity to speak with my family was the greatest gift of all! To see that Dad is still stubborn about his beard, Mom is still finding joy all around her, Jacob is still preparing for a mission of his own, Lydia is still working hard at all she does, Rachel is still as wonderful as ever, Betsy is still as funny as she was a year ago, and Esther is still just as cute was a huge blessing! Words cannot describe how much I love them and how much I've come to appreciate them as I've come to understand the gospel more and more.

As I pondered about the gift (the ETERNAL gift) I've been given in my family, I was overcome by much gratitude. I felt much like as the wise men must have felt when they finally found the Christ child. Matthew tells us that they were filled with exceeding great joy and fell down and worshipped Him (see Matthew 1:10-11). They had also come with gifts; even gold, frankincense, and myrrh. I was left to think about what I could offer our Redeemer in return.

My thoughts turned to a verse in Omni, written by a prophet we know little about. He says: 

"And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved."

I do not have much gold to offer my Savior. I don't own any frankincense, and I hardly even know what myrrh is. I do not have many material things that I could offer the Child in gratitude for the tremendous blessings He has given me. But I can offer Him my soul, my very being. I can serve Him with my whole heart, might, mind, and strength. 

Isn't that all He asks for anyway? 

Love, 
Sister Waite

No comments:

Post a Comment