Thursday, October 2, 2014

Words from Elder Kade Garner in Peru

"This week was a lot better than last week. We were able to set some baptismal dates with a few people and we were able to have two work visits with members of our zone.


This week we had two work visits. I went to work with the Elder that had taken a bus home a few weeks ago. As we were working I could see that he had very little self confidence. I told him something that I told my companion a few weeks ago. ¨You have to look for the good that is in you.¨ We cannot focus on what we do wrong or what we lack. We have to find what we are good at or what our talents are and grow according to that. It is something that has been hard for me and my companion here in this area. However we have to love ourselves and see that we are worth something so that we can see the worth of another person and love them too. Christ knew that He was the Son of God and He knew that He could atone for all mankind and for that He did it... along with obedience and love for His Father and us, but I know that Christ saw the importance of every sould including His own. If he would have doubted Himself He would have surcome to the temptations of Satan and God´s plan would have been foiled. However, He did not do so. He had faith in His Father and Faith in Himself. We too must have faith in our Father and in His Son our Savior, but we also must have faith in our abilites (without being prideful). So, the next time one of you feels like you just cannot do it. Or, like you don´t mean anything to anyone... ¨look for the good in you¨ (Busque lo bueno en si mismo).


So we found a single mom this week with her two adult kids. They are from Cusco and have the funniest backwoods kind of accent, but they are the kindest of people. You know the funny thing about Peruvians. Anyone that is not from Lima is a genuinly kind person. While those that are from Lima do not have confidence in anyone. I guess it is kind of like that in the US. Those from big cities are not really people persons while those from small communities are down to earth and easy to get along with.


Anyway, with these three we invited them to get baptized. German (19) and his mom agreed while his older brother Walter did not because he will be going to Cusco at the end of the month and he does not know when he will get back. German when I asked him if he would be baptized just light up. He was so happy. As we talked about baptism I could see that he was anxious... but a good anxious. He was just waiting for us to invite him. That is why we should always invite because there are people that are litterally waiting for someone to invite them to follow Christ and be baptized, be if we don´t do it, who will? They will be getting baptized the 25th of October.


We also went to visist a less active member. Her husband was home and we were so glad. We had not met him yet but she had told us that he has been going to another church for sometime. We taught him the restauration and he also accepted a baptismal invite. He loved how much we focused on the family and how they could live together forever by following the council of the prophets. Whelp, that is why God gives us prophets. He will be getting baptized the 1st of November.


This week was fast Sunday as you all already know. I have come to love this Sunday. I love the testimonies, I love the blessings that come from fasting, and I love how close we really become to the Spirit while fasting. While in one of the classes we sang one of my very favorite hymns, ¨I Know that My Redeemer Lives.¨


I cannot listen to this hymn without becoming emotional. I love it so much. It describes perfectly what conversion is. The song starts out by declaring that Christ lives and is the Savior. It is something that we learn from the time we are little. Then it continues to do so in the second verse just like we continue with this faith in our youth. Something changes though in the third verse (and by the way the Spanish version is a little different in what it says, but I love it just the same) by stating that Christ is my friend. That is something that I have learned here in the mission. Even though I am not perfect and have a long way to go, I have been able to develop a relationship that is very personal with the Savior. I no longer see Him as only my Savior and Redeemer, which is very important, but I now know and now consider Him to be my friend. I think it is like that for all of us. We learn of His goodness and then we have to create this kind of relationship with Him. Then in the fourth verse to close the song states that I will always praise Him, honor Him, and sing His name. That is also something I can now say that I want to and will do for the rest of my life. I have a very good friend whom I cannot abandon and of whom I must speak of to others. I know Christ is my friend, I know that I will honor Him for all my life, I know I will keep His commandments for all my life, I know that I will never deny His truth which is the Gospel, and I know that I will do all I can to help others find that He too can be their friend. He is our Savior, He is our Redeemer, He is the Creator of all things, He is the Son of God, He is the Atoner of all sin, He is the Only perfect man, but more that anything... He is our Friend.


I love you all and I pray every day that you all are striving to keep and make commandments with our Heavenly Father and that you are all doing well."

No comments:

Post a Comment