Monday, October 27, 2014

Words from Elder Kade Garner in Peru

"Happy Monday Family,
 
So, it sounds like everyone is doing so well. It is so crazy that almost all of my friends are home. I am the only one left... but hey, they always save the best for last... or so they tell me. 
 
This week was pretty good. On Monday we played volley ball with the district and we are going to do it again today. Next Monday we are going to carve pumpkins with the zone. Yes, we actually found pumpkins here in Peru. Happy Halloween... just so you know it is a very American tradition. 
 
On Tuesday we were going to look for an old investigator in Oquendo... yes part of my old area that is part of the area where I am currently at. Anyway, as we were walking I noticed an old couple sitting outside of their house together. At first glance, they came off as a ver crusty old couple, but I noticed that the lady watched us for a very long time until we got close to them. I decided that we should contact them. We asked them if they knew the family that we were looking for and then we started talking about other things. We got to the subject of religion and the husband invited us to share a message with them. They turned out to be so funny. They reminded me of Grandma and Grandpa Mesa with how they talked to eachother. We found out that they have been married for 48 years (that never happens in Peru!). We talked about the Book of Mormon but we did not have any to give away. The hermana Ventura asked us if we could come back another day to sell her one. We told her that we would love to go back another day to give her one for free and share our full message with them. They were so excited. We also found out that they have three kids that still live with them. We`ll see if this family turns out to be ¨una familia de oro.¨
 
We have our investigator German who is from Cusco and he is progressing very well. This week he went to church again and in the chapel he told me that he is very excited to be baptized. He said that he has been visiting churches (he goes a lot with his mom to the Catholic church) but says that this is the very first time that he has felt comfortable in one. You know what that is called? THE SPIRIT. His brother too wants to get baptized but we cannot baptize him because he is going to move back to Cusco in a few weeks where he has his wife with whom he is not married. Dang it. Anyway they really are to very great people and I am very excited to see how much they are progressing. We saw something sad though. Yesterday after the meetings they wanted to see the baptismal font. We went to look at it and on our way out you have to pass in front of the women`s bathroom. A member saw them and immediately was rude to them for going into the women`s restroom. I followed and not being a very good missionary I got after the man. I told him that they wanted to see the font and that if he had a problem with them he could talk to me about it. He was a member from the other ward and he just looked at the floor and walked away. It was bad on my part I know. However, we as members should be so careful with how we talk to those in the chapel whom we do not know. They did not have Sunday clothes on and so it was obvious that they were not members. We as members have to be as kind as we can to the investigators and visitors. Small things like that scare people away from the church. I was not about to let a member from the other ward talk down to my investigators. However, next time I will try to be a little more like Christ.
 
Oh funny story. We have a family we are teaching and after the lesson the seven year-old was telling me all about his girlfriends. I told him that he needed to have one in every class so that they do not know that he has so many and fight. His response to me was the greatest ever. He told me, ¨Yo tengo una novia en cada asiento de mi sala para que se peleen por su gordito.¨ He essentially told me that he has a girlfriend in every chair of his classroom so that they fight over their fat little man. He is so funny and really is so chunky but hey, at least he accepts it. 
 
Love you all and until next week. Hey I hear you all are basically counting down the days until I get home. I am not going to do that, but thanks for being so excited. Can I tell you all something? I am starting to get a little excited too."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment