Thursday, October 2, 2014

Words from Elder Kyle James in Germany


 
"I had an experience last week that broke my brain, and my bowels. And quite possibly my ability to drink milk.



But we will get to that.



So. This week was pretty good. We had an awesome meeting with bruder Köster. We talked for a while and while he was cutting our hair, we asked him if he had a goal of coming back to church. He said that his life was not where it needed to be to go back to church yet. Member problems are hard to deal with. People were jealous of him... i think. Anyway, he told us that he invites us every week so he can have a little bit of church in his house. Haha. Something like that. Bruder Köster is actually really awesome. He has flown to America to see missionaries that he really liked. All the missionaries love him. Me included. I was talking to Bruder Hansen, and he told me, that Bruder Köster is the reason he... and his entire family are active right now. He used to be an awesome member! AH... We will do our best to get him back. With the spirit of course.



On Thursday we had a split. I was in Solingen with our new district leader. We decided to go by on the less-active.... Röhrig. you know? the..... guy.... who sevred in the German millitary in that big famous war? Yeah... here is my story.



So we went there and buzzed his haus. No answer. We buzzed again. No answer. We were about to leave, when I had the feeling to buzz a different door in the apartment. And... sure enough... he heard that one. I think the spirit wanted me to go through this experience... just to laugh at me. Anyway, he answered the door and brought us into his living room. We talked for a while. And then he asked us if we ate yet. We had. We actually had a very large meal right before. I was stuffed. But that didnt stop him. I guess he forgot that we had already eaten... because he was leading us into his kitchen two minutes later.



In the corner of his kitchen... there was an old pot with a plate used as a lid. he opened the pot and a bunch of fruit flies flew out. He showed us what was in there... it smelled like horrible...horrible.... milk. It was chunky and HORRIBLE. ...............I never thought that I would have to drink it.



He started cooking something. It was like.... nasty oatmeal. We couldnt do anything. We were helpless.



He opened his fridge and took out a container. He poured us two glasses. I smelled it and gaged under my breath. It was the same stuff that was in the pot!! AND GUESS WHAT?! It was month old milk... with Flipping MUSHROOMS! MUSHROOMS! He pours milk in a pot.... grounds up mushrooms... sticks them in the milk.... and lets it sit on his counter for months!! GAG!! I took a sip.... I pretty much threw up... but kept it down. He was busy cooking oatmeal .... i put my cup down and made some sign language gesture to my comp.... that if he was to drink it... he would die.



I had to think fast... we needed to plan something. If I had to drink more... i would throw up. I asked Röhrig if we could go grab our bags in the other room. He let us. We went to his living room and had a fast, life or death planning meeting. I was nice. I am a hero actually. I told my comp that he needed to play the "allergic to milk card." And I also told him that we need to act like we are late. so thats what we did. Yeah yeah I know. Why didnt I just refuse the food? Cuz he is a 90 year old german man who probably starved when he was in the military. People just dont waste food here. The old people anyway.



SO we went back to the kitchen and he had finished making the mash. we ate it super slowly... not daring to drink the milk stuff. He looked at me and told me to drink up... I smiled and drank a little more. GAG. My comp pulled the allergic card and he was allowed to not drink it. But me? noo.... I had to drink more! I needed a distraction... I took out a book of mormon and started to read from it... he has bad hearing... so he asked to read it himself. He took the book and pulled it up to his face. While he wasnt looking... I poured the rest of my rotten milk mushroom smoothy into my bowl of mash. I had to act quick yet again though! The smoothy made my mash look obviously white. We needed to get out of there. We gave a super quick spiritual thought.... i bore my testimony. And told him that we were crazy late. We had a prayer and then we ran out of their... acting like we were late. we ran to a German forest. Sat down... and waited to throw up. My comp threw up by a tree. HE DIDNT EVEN DRINK THE MILK AND THREW UP. I DRANK THE FLIPPIN MILCH! I laughed at my comp. It was funny. I couldnt throw up though. We took a bus back home.... and I thought I was gonna thow up. But I never did. AND that is my story. Forgive my grammer and spelling.



Hahahahahahaahaha funny yeah?



Anyway... we met with a lot of people this week. It was good.



On Sunday our investigator was there. She is awesome but it is really hard for her in life right now. Wow... last sentence doesnt make sense but i cant think of the right way to write it.

We also got a refferal.



SO this week looks like it will be great.



Culture wise? I cant think of anything weird because It is all normal now. It is way different from America though. Like the stores and whatnot.



I love it!!



Language is going alright. I study really hard. All I need is time.



I always like leaving challenges with people we teach... when I get the chance. SO I like to leave challenges with you. Oh and tell the Neubauers congrats! Haha Noybowers is how it is pronounced hahaah



I have been studying a lot lately in the book of Alma. I really like it. But one thing that I would like to say... involves testimony. How can we have a firm testimony? Prayer. Scripture study. Going to church. THose three things can build a firm foundation.



Prayer. prayer can turn the night to day. Tell Heavenly Father everything. He wants to bless us. Just ask. We can find so much peace in prayer. We can ask for anything. What more could we ask for?



Scriptures. Aw man the scriptures are awesome! I know it is hard to read sometimes... but do it! Get into the habit of reading a chapter a day. And not crap reading. Study! Study a chapter a day. Find a verse that applies to you. Find a scirpture that was written for you. Let the scriptures lead you. We ask for things in prayers... we can receive them through the scriptures!



Church! Chruch is awesome. Listen to the speakers... but more importantly... listen to the spirit. We are their to worship God. Not sleep or use my ipad.(Lisa's note- What a brat! I have his ipad while he is gone, and he know me too well!)



John Bytheway has an awesome talk. Tour de family. Listen to it together. It is amazing and I hope it can bless you guys.



I love you guys very much. Sorry my letter is hard to understand. My brain is scattered today!



DO well in everything."


No comments:

Post a Comment